Ascites...euthanise

The "spot" isn't the issue. Depth is. The fluid is just under the skin, not deep in the abdomen.

There is a risk of infection at the puncture site. The best procedure is to leave the needle in after the first puncture and twist off the syringe (counterclockwise) to empty it. An oral antibiotic can't hurt to counter any bacteria that is introduced during the draining procedure.

Hello,
I returned from a few days a way to a hen waddling and after checking I am pretty sure she has ascites / water belly. Swollen and squishy, comb very dark. Eating but fussy, running when treats come. No feathers on her belly but she has been like that for over a year. She is 2.5 years old, stopped laying late summer but that can be normal. I immediately called the vet which has a new owner and they informed me they can't help with chickens anymore to which I just cried - because if I have a sick bird I used them for treatment and for euthanising. We don't have another vet option.

I don't like the idea of her suffering continually so my first question is, can they last very long with this condition?
I don't want to drain it, from what I have read, it just prolongs the inevitable.
My second is, if I have to end her life, what should I do? I have never done it before 😭

Thank you for any help
If she's still eating and can run for treats, then I'd consider giving her Aloe Detox to see if that makes any difference. Draining may give a bit of relief as well, but for me, if they are able to get about o.k. then I wouldn't drain. (running for treats, she can still move)

Some hens can last a good while with supportive care, it really depends on the cause of the symptom of fluid in the belly. Fluid can be from reproductive issues and/or organ dysfunction. I let mine continue to chicken until they can't chicken anymore, then kindly put them down.

Do address the crop symptoms. It's not uncommon for crops to slow when a hen has swelling in the abdomen. It all works together. Here's the treatment methods I use https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm sorry that you face this. Putting a hen down is never easy. If you feel she's suffering, in pain and she needs to be put out of her misery, then I use broom stick cervical dislocation.

Here's info on Aloe Detox, if you want to read more posts, then search for Aloe Detox under Coach723 name and you'll get quite a few. Detox could be used in conjunction with draining.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...le-to-move-now-laid-egg.1446105/post-24045478

One other thing I suggest if you choose to drain. A couple hours before the procedure, tube or syringe a half a cup of warmed electrolytes into the crop. This will hydrate and prevent shock from the sudden draining of a similar amount of fluids from the body. I had a hen die of shock because of failure to hydrate beforehand.

Be sure if you drain the hen to disinfect the skin with Hibiclens chlorhexidene or Betadine. I only have attempted draining in a small 10 YO bantam who was having sudden abdominal swelling, blue belly skin, and who had labored breathing. It helped her a great deal, but she did die within a couple of weeks. Here is a good picture (4th picture) in post 42 of someone treating for ascites and the needle position:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

The "spot" isn't the issue. Depth is. The fluid is just under the skin, not deep in the abdomen.

There is a risk of infection at the puncture site. The best procedure is to leave the needle in after the first puncture and twist off the syringe (counterclockwise) to empty it. An oral antibiotic can't hurt to counter any bacteria that is introduced during the draining procedure.
Thank you everyone ! I was successful and it was unbelievable the amount of fluids that came out . I am hoping that I don’t have to repeat this procedure lol. Very awkward position when doing alone .

Back
Top Bottom