Ascites/Fluid Filled Body?

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
One of my 3-year-old hens is suffering from fluid-filling her body. The vet said this is likely related to either a tumor or an issue with a heart or liver. He did say there is an infection and we're treating her for it.

Has anyone had a chicken recover from this? The vet said this likely happened because of her breed as a high production. He said we might need to drain her again, me and my mom have thought of doing this for her our selves.

She seems to be doing okay... if this chicken wasn't so special we'd likely have put her down rather then nurse her but she seems happy enough currently as long as she gets her anti-inflammatory meds.

One of my 3-year-old hens is suffering from fluid-filling her body. The vet said this is likely related to either a tumor or an issue with a heart or liver. He did say there is an infection and we're treating her for it.

Has anyone had a chicken recover from this? The vet said this likely happened because of her breed as a high production. He said we might need to drain her again, me and my mom have thought of doing this for her our selves.

She seems to be doing okay... if this chicken wasn't so special we'd likely have put her down rather then nurse her but she seems happy enough currently as long as she gets her anti-inflammatory meds.
Is it an hybrid ?black /Red sex link? Leghorn hybrid?
Acistis is incurable.

Is it an hybrid ?black /Red sex link? Leghorn hybrid?
Acistis is incurable.

3-year-old Barred Plymouth Rock who had other(minor) issues in the past. I honestly think it isn't just genetics we had a serious fire here in the bay area. We've had the following with health issues since the fire a lizard, horses, dogs and a fish. On top of a friend dying from getting sick after it and we've been getting sick easier since the fire. A chicken was just the last to have health issues.

Barred Rocks are on the same level as Leghorn in egg production. She hasn't produced eggs since the fire.

Back
Top Bottom