Ashley in North Dakota!

Hello and welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here!

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your beautiful flock. Thank you for sharing!

I like my Plymouth Rocks for being good layers (though many are currently taking a break for a molt) and being cold hardy (no issues with cold as long as they can get out of the wind, and it gets down to -20sC on some days here). They even have a blue variant!

Good afternoon! A little about me! I’m born and raised in ND and now raising a family of 5 here in a small town just how I like it! I worked in the oil industry for around 12 years and when Covid and oil plummeted I decided to stay home for a bit. While home I had a ton more time so took up the hobby of buying some chickens for some farm fresh eggs. Turns out a few 4 years later I want to now branch out and breed. My favorite bird is a Cochin. I absolutely love everything about them! From their demeanor to being cold hardy and having eggs on a regular! I love flashy but some flashy aren’t cold hardy! My husband has always been against small birds that don’t lay well and aren’t cold hardy. So what I plan to do is breed flashy to good layers! I have a lot of blue Cochins, blue frizzles, blue silkies, blue Marans, and a few other blue. Can you tell I love blue? I have also really wanted to add some cool patterns so I did get some Orloff, Crele Penedesenca, Sicilian bittercups, porcelain and Mille Fleurs, and some neat bantams. Next year should be fun!

If anyone has a cool mix that would be cold hardy, lay a lot, and flashy let me hear em! This is absolutely so fun for me! Thanks everyone!
Welcome. Your birds are beautiful!

Hello and welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here!

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your beautiful flock. Thank you for sharing!

I like my Plymouth Rocks for being good layers (though many are currently taking a break for a molt) and being cold hardy (no issues with cold as long as they can get out of the wind, and it gets down to -20sC on some days here). They even have a blue variant!
It just snowed here and 22 degrees. I’ve always been ok with my girls in the coop without heat but now I have bantams and ladies that can’t be in that cold so I’ve been looking everywhere for a cost efficient heater. I believe I’m officially that type of bird mom now 😂

It just snowed here and 22 degrees. I’ve always been ok with my girls in the coop without heat but now I have bantams and ladies that can’t be in that cold so I’ve been looking everywhere for a cost efficient heater. I believe I’m officially that type of bird mom now 😂
I'm in Wisconsin now and we heat our coop to keep it from freezing. A Cozy Coop flat panel or one of those types of heaters will not maintain a coop's temp, though we have one for our temp coop when letting the youngens over 6 weeks stay outside overnight in the fall when it dips below 50F.

For the coop, we bought a thin oil-filled radiator heater that on it's lowest setting, with the exception of the polar vortex, keeps the coop around 40F. We have two, one for me under my desk and one for the coop. I'll link the one from Amazon as it's cheaper, but they're at Home Depot too, and that's where we got ours initially several years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/NewAir-Porta...ext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&nis=7

Back
Top Bottom