ASSISTANCE and ADVICE needed..

mhwc56

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
my house in maryland
does anyone know of some kind of treat that pigeons are particularly fond of ?
i'm trying to find something that will help me to tame down previously not handled birds. it's a semi life or death reason...
thanks for any offered ideas in advance!
smile.png

I raise white homing pigeons and encountered the same problem. I feed my birds (in the summer months) only egg layer pellets. I mix this with corn and rabbit pellet in the winter months. To tame my birds I went in and placed only a handful of peanuts (unsalted with the shells removed) you can buy at most feed stores. Pigeons absolutely love them.

The next approach is to only give a small portion each time you go in. Next only let them have it from your hand on the floor (the first approach by one of my birds took me over 1/2 hour of patience). Now when I go in I have three birds that will fly to me in the loft for their treat as soon as I extend my hand with the peanuts . The others 9 still are a bit aloof but will eat from my hand on the floor now. I have 2 birds that will fly to me for a treat outside.

I find NOT to approach the birds to coax them is key. Also when you do move do it in a super slow motion type of gesture. Hope it works for you. Also you will have better luck with birds that have been born in your loft as opposed to adult birds. I find my adult birds will only feed out of my hand on the floor to date and do not have the courage to fly to me yet. I am still optimistic that they will tame. Hope this helps and let me know how you make out.

Ron
N.B. Canada.

Mine love sunflower hearts. That's just the nut without the shell. Try holding some of the seeds in the palm of your hand before you feed the pigeons their regular feed. As soon as one pigeon gets brave enough to try it, they will all jump right in.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom