sjhart18

Chirping
Feb 22, 2021
Vermont
Hello! I know this is a super controversial topic and that there are very strong opinions about whether or not to assist in general. I'm asking specifically about what to do if the chick has been trying to break through the inner membrane for at least 24 hours.

Stats:
- Local chicken egg, started incubation 3/24/23 at 6pm so this the end of day 24 (I think)
- This egg has been incubated in my bra the entire time.
- The reason I've been candling during lockdown is that lockdown isn't actually super possible with a bracubated egg.
- Normal (if maybe slightly delayed) development over the course of incubation.
- I noticed shadowing last night around 5pm (by which I mean a blurry section of the air cell was moving up and down a significant amount like the beak was trying to break through) but the chick has not internally pipped in the day since then.
- There are no longer any super visible blood vessels anywhere around the air cell or egg.

So here's the thing-- I know that the egg is likely slower to develop due to lower temperatures, and that this is essentially a "dry hatch" because the humidity has been consistently low throughout incubation (my air cell is a good size though). I also know there's a decent chance that this chick will need help hatching, and I have read several articles on how to do that.

In this odd set of circumstances, I would rather try my best and fail than not try at all and lose the chick anyways. So here is my current plan and I would love any thoughts:
1. Make a small hole in the air cell near where the shadowing is occurring
2. Check for the presence of blood vessels in the membrane above (what I hope is) the beak
3a. If the beak is not visible, or there are still blood vessels in the membrane, moisten it with non-pain reliever bacitracin and leave it alone
3b. If the beak is clearly visible and there are no blood vessels nearby, moisten the membrane and make the world's most careful cut of all time, freeing the beak.
4. Hope I didn't mess up too badly.

Now that I'm thinking about it, moistening the membrane might be enough on its own to let the chick break through? That is probably the safer option.

Let's talk shrink-wrapping: From my understanding, the main reason shrink wrapping occurs is when the egg goes from a state of high humidity to a state of low humidity. Now I'm still running the risk by opening the egg, but I think it's a lower risk than if it had ever gone into "true" lockdown.

There really isn’t a set time frame for pressing against the membrane sometimes you will notice it a couple days before they internally pip sometimes hours. If you start poking holes in it before it even has internally pipped you are drastically increasing the risk of that membrane drying out. I have seen more damage done by people trying to help than just leaving them be. At the very least wait for it to internally pip.

Sorry, I’ve only hatched a couples batches through the incubator and I don’t follow the hatching forum per se, but bra hatching? Is this a real thing?

There really isn’t a set time frame for pressing against the membrane sometimes you will notice it a couple days before they internally pip sometimes hours. If you start poking holes in it before it even has internally pipped you are drastically increasing the risk of that membrane drying out. I have seen more damage done by people trying to help than just leaving them be. At the very least wait for it to internally pip.
Do you know why chicks typically die without internally pipping? Is it because they run out of nutrients from the yolk?

Sorry, I’ve only hatched a couples batches through the incubator and I don’t follow the hatching forum per se, but bra hatching? Is this a real thing?
Not a prank, believe me. Wearing a sports bra for 24 days is too much of a commitment to the bit, even for me

I see shadowing sometimes 48 hours before mine interval pip
What you want to look for is breathing movement it’s different then random flickering
It’s up and down constantly usually seen at the bottom portion of the air cell opposite of where baby pips
If I see breathing and no internal pip then I look for bruising on the egg as that means baby is in the wrong position
I agree with @HollowOfWisps opening the egg when baby isn’t even internal piped yet it’s a huge risk to the baby. I only make a safety hole in a bruise outside the air cell or in air cell slightly above where beak is after 24 hours of internal pip
My safety holes are the size of a pin or sharpened pencil and I can’t see through them to see the membrane or baby it’s strictly to get a little air in and not affect the membrane or baby

Back
Top Bottom