Assorted bantams in question?

CCMartin0831

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2024
I bought some assorted bantams from TSC (Hoover Hatchery supplies them) and most I can figure out (silkies are easy) but these have me stumped especially #9 .. hard to tell in the pic but #7 is a really light silver even though it looks yellow in the pic. Please help.lol

Attachments

• 20240321_185723.jpg
    20240321_185723.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240321_190705.jpg
    20240321_190705.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240321_185435.jpg
    20240321_185435.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240321_185517.jpg
    20240321_185517.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240321_185546.jpg
    20240321_185546.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240321_185613.jpg
    20240321_185613.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240321_185632.jpg
    20240321_185632.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240321_185658.jpg
    20240321_185658.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240321_190712.jpg
    20240321_190712.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240321_190734.jpg
    20240321_190734.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240321_190739.jpg
    20240321_190739.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 20
I bought some assorted bantams from TSC (Hoover Hatchery supplies them) and most I can figure out (silkies are easy) but these have me stumped especially #9 .. hard to tell in the pic but #7 is a really light silver even though it looks yellow in the pic. Please help.lol
Almost any of them could be Easter Egger bantams, especially if they have clean feet and pea combs and even more if they also have chipmunk stripes. Having said that, I'm going to try to match them with specific pure breeds as much as possible. "Easter Egger" is just my fallback guess if I can't find anything else, and would be confirmed by them laying blue or green eggs when they grow up.

#1 is black and frizzled. I can't see the feet clearly enough to be sure, but I suspect it's a Cochin, which would have feathered feet. If it has clean feet, then it can't be a Cochin, and would be a black frizzled variety of some clean-legged breed.

#2 Does it have feathered feet? I can't decide whether the comb is pea (Buff Brahma bantam) or single (maybe Mille Fleur d'Uccle.) I'm pretty sure it isn't a Sebright because the comb is wrong for a Sebright, and the feather patterning does not look quite right for lacing.

#3 Probably an Old English Game bantam (clean feet). I'm guessing Silver Duckwing, but there's a chance it's Black Breasted Red or Crele.

#4 Maybe a Crele Old English Game Bantam. I think it might be a male (Crele is somewhat auto-sexing in the same way that Bielefelders and Cream Legbars are, but the differences are not always as clear because people haven't been selecting carefully for that trait.)

#5 Maybe a Spangled Old English Game Bantam. Or maybe a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam.

#6 I don't see a 6

#7 Since you say it's a light silver, maybe Lavender color. I'm guessing it's also an Old English Game bantam. If it is, it is probably called Self Blue (another name for Lavender.)

#8 is Barred or Cuckoo in color (two names, both mean white barring on a black chicken.) I think I see clean feet, which would mean either a Barred Rock Bantam or an Old English Game bantam (the mature body shape should make it obvious which one, after it grows up). Or if it has feathered feet, it would be a Cochin.

#9 Mottled Cochin. With the feathered feet, single comb, and that coloring, I don't think it could be anything else.

#10 Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam.

Note, all the breeds I guessed have single combs, except Brahma with a pea comb. I'm having trouble seeing comb type on most of the chicks in the pictures because they are so young & small and wiggle when you try to photograph them. If any of them develop pea combs instead of single, that is a strong indicator that they are an Easter Egger instead (except for #2, that might be Buff Brahma.)

Almost any of them could be Easter Egger bantams, especially if they have clean feet and pea combs and even more if they also have chipmunk stripes. Having said that, I'm going to try to match them with specific pure breeds as much as possible. "Easter Egger" is just my fallback guess if I can't find anything else, and would be confirmed by them laying blue or green eggs when they grow up.

#1 is black and frizzled. I can't see the feet clearly enough to be sure, but I suspect it's a Cochin, which would have feathered feet. If it has clean feet, then it can't be a Cochin, and would be a black frizzled variety of some clean-legged breed.

#2 Does it have feathered feet? I can't decide whether the comb is pea (Buff Brahma bantam) or single (maybe Mille Fleur d'Uccle.) I'm pretty sure it isn't a Sebright because the comb is wrong for a Sebright, and the feather patterning does not look quite right for lacing.

#3 Probably an Old English Game bantam (clean feet). I'm guessing Silver Duckwing, but there's a chance it's Black Breasted Red or Crele.

#4 Maybe a Crele Old English Game Bantam. I think it might be a male (Crele is somewhat auto-sexing in the same way that Bielefelders and Cream Legbars are, but the differences are not always as clear because people haven't been selecting carefully for that trait.)

#5 Maybe a Spangled Old English Game Bantam. Or maybe a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam.

#6 I don't see a 6

#7 Since you say it's a light silver, maybe Lavender color. I'm guessing it's also an Old English Game bantam. If it is, it is probably called Self Blue (another name for Lavender.)

#8 is Barred or Cuckoo in color (two names, both mean white barring on a black chicken.) I think I see clean feet, which would mean either a Barred Rock Bantam or an Old English Game bantam (the mature body shape should make it obvious which one, after it grows up). Or if it has feathered feet, it would be a Cochin.

#9 Mottled Cochin. With the feathered feet, single comb, and that coloring, I don't think it could be anything else.

#10 Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam.

Note, all the breeds I guessed have single combs, except Brahma with a pea comb. I'm having trouble seeing comb type on most of the chicks in the pictures because they are so young & small and wiggle when you try to photograph them. If any of them develop pea combs instead of single, that is a strong indicator that they are an Easter Egger instead (except for #2, that might be Buff Brahma.)
Thank you so much !!! I sure hope you are right on the old English bantams. I think they are so cute.. I for some reason didn’t even think about showing the feet but I made a list
Feathered feet=1,6 & 9
Not feathered=2,3,4,5,7,8 & 10

I thinkni see a beard on number 9. I think mottled D'Uccles
If #9 it does have a beard, then I agree it would be d'Uccle not Cochin.
I didn't think I saw a beard, but I could easily be wrong.

Thank you so much !!! I sure hope you are right on the old English bantams. I think they are so cute.. I for some reason didn’t even think about showing the feet but I made a list
Feathered feet=1,6 & 9
Not feathered=2,3,4,5,7,8 & 10
I don't see a photo of #6

For #2, you say it has clean feet? In that case it can't be a Buff Brahma Bantam or a Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantam, so I don't know what to think. Maybe a Mille Fleur-colored Old English Game Bantam? They don't seem to be very common, but they do exist. That one might just stay a bit of a mystery until it grows up some more.

1000040410.jpg
this is 6. Light yellowish/ white with black and then a brown head and feathered feet.
Yes #2 has clean feet. I have 2 of them both about the same coloring but my other one is a lot lighter in color on the body but their wings are the same.

#6 might be a Light Brahma bantam.

#2, I'll definitel be curious to see how it looks as it grows, because I'm really not sure at this time.

I forgot about this little one. It's chest is all off-white.. any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpg
    IMG_4762.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4761.jpg
    IMG_4761.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 10
I forgot about this little one. It's chest is all off-white.. any idea?
Maybe a Spangled Old English Game Bantam. Genetically, that's a Black Breasted Red with the mottling gene making dots all over it-- similar to a Mille Fleur coloring, but with darker red and more black.

Or maybe a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam, with an odd-colored chest. But I think the light chest is more likely to be caused by the mottling gene, which is why I'm guessing Spangled.

Maybe a Spangled Old English Game Bantam. Genetically, that's a Black Breasted Red with the mottling gene making dots all over it-- similar to a Mille Fleur coloring, but with darker red and more black.

Or maybe a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam, with an odd-colored chest. But I think the light chest is more likely to be caused by the mottling gene, which is why I'm guessing Spangled.
Thanks so much for ALL your help! I will definitely post pics when they get older

Back
Top Bottom