At home fecal matter testing. Do you own a microscope?

It's interesting that I stumbled across this thread today. Yesterday I was looking at CL for a used microscope just for this purpose. A couple of years ago I was interested in doing my own fecal counts and wrote this byc page on what I learned in my research. I'd really like to get set up for this. If anyone else has done this, please share.
Not sure, but I think that when I commented on this page earlier today, it may have gotten bumped up.....? Not sure though, but interested to take a look at your info. and hear how the "at home" fecal floats are working for threaders.

I forgot about this thread. I have all of my lab equipment since my last post. :)

I found a great local vet that charges $10.00 for fecal samples.

What about your local vet?

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I was wondering if anyone is doing their tests at home still?

I wanted to check my chicks fecal. The local vet turned me down. I thought that was odd, I just wanted the test on a baggie of poop to check for coccidiosis. Since dogs and cats can get it, I would assume they could figure out chicken poop easy enough.

Thank you to the prior posters who mentioned CL to look for a microscope. Going there now!

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I was wondering if anyone is doing their tests at home still?

I wanted to check my chicks fecal. The local vet turned me down. I thought that was odd, I just wanted the test on a baggie of poop to check for coccidiosis. Since dogs and cats can get it, I would assume they could figure out chicken poop easy enough.

Thank you to the prior posters who mentioned CL to look for a microscope. Going there now!
well, now I'm resurrecting an old thread, lol! The average cost for a fecal float is $60 here... that's AVERAGE!!!! the @home ones are 26+8 for shipping better, but still not great. Anyone have success in learning to do it themselves????

@casportpony
Thank You! I checked that thread out too!
big_smile.png
One of the posters their is a vet, so lots of good info. KsKingBee, the thread starter, has now done a couple hundred floats.

Back
Top Bottom