At my wits end, lots of different illness symptoms in my flock.

szpider

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2018
Detroit, MI
I’ll start off by admitting, I was sloppy about quarantining new birds from my old ones. I brought home three new silkies from a poultry swap a few weeks ago (one adult hen, one pullet, and a young roo that I THOUGHT was a pullet :rolleyes: it’s so hard to tell with silkies.) I threw them in together with my two otherwise healthy 6 year old bantam hens.
Anyway, since then:
One of my two older hens got sick a few days after introducing the new birds. Acting listless, sitting puffed up, wings down, slight dark tint to her comb, and mushy, bright green poops. I thought I might’ve been dealing with cocci so I did a course of Corid, and my hen got better, though now I’m not actually sure if it was even the Corid that made her better necessarily. Towards the end of the corid run, I found a chicken poop with a big ROUNDWORM in it, I’m not sure which bird it came from though. So, I halted the Corid and dosed them with Wazine.
Since then, my OTHER older bird got sick, with *almost* the same symptoms as the first: lethargic, wings down, pale face and comb, and mucousy bright green poops. This is the hen I’m now most concerned about. She’s not snapping out of it like the first one did.

In the meantime, the only symptom the three new silkies are showing is just diarrhea, but not even the same green stuff as my two older birds, just brown-yellow liquid poo. Otherwise they are acting normal, aside from a few sneezes here and there, but nothing frequent.

So my actual question is this: should I dose my second sick bantam hen with Corid again, since it *seemed* to help my first one? The other antibiotic I looked for was Duramycin 10, but I could only find it in large volumes for cattle dosing.
Also after I dosed my birds with the Wazine, I read that Ivermectic is actually a better broad-spectrum dewormer/antiparasitic, so should I used that instead, or just re-dose with the Wazine in a week like the instructions say? I hate the idea of overloading my birds with tons of medications, but I just want them to get better. :hit

I doubt the problem is a need for more Corid. A 6 year old chicken that has been on your property all along, doesn't have coccidiosis. You brought a disease home from the swap.
I'd have your sickest bird diagnosed at the vet school so you can stop guessing.
Michigan State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
College of Veterinary Medicine
4125 Beaumont Rd, Ste 201H
Lansing, Michigan 48910-8103
Phone: 517-353-1683

I also wouldn't start treating for worms without a fecal sample to know if they even have worms and what kind.

One obviously has roundworms, but there are other worms that can affect chickens. I would second the fecal test for worms by collecting several fresh combined droppings to look for worm eggs and coccidiosis. If not possible, I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer to worm all chickens. Keep droppings cleaned , and keep bedding clean and dry as possible. Sneezing can be a sign of a respiratory disease. Some are cause d by viruses, bacteria, and fungi. You really need to close your flock, and try to find out what illness the new birds brought in. If one is very ill, or one dies, I would also recommend getting testing or a necropsy through your state vet or poultry lab.

It was a large roundworm that was excreted, wazine will take care of large roundworms.
There are no other wormers that target specific worms other than wazine.
The rest of the wormers that are sold on the market are broad spectrum wormers.

Szpider, you would be better off using Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer rather than Ivermectin. Worm all your birds, then provide them with a probiotic such a Probios dispersible powder.

Back
Top Bottom