At what age can I move chicks into an outdoor coop?

That was a thought my husband had...we have a large pet crate that we tried crate training our pup in (till I couldn't take the wimpering...lol). Chicks get big quick...

I haven't used a pet crate, but others on here have discussed using them for that purpose.

The other option I've heard is to just give them lots of places to hide (boxes with entrances that the big girls are too big to get through, etc.)

welcome-byc.gif
I'd wait till they're fully feathered or at least 6 weeks.
Also, it's good you have lots of chicks because you shouldn't introduce 1 new hen into a new flock. But don't be surprised if they hangout by themselves.

Quote: If you put your chicks in the coop at night (hopefully your hens are asleep) then the hens will not hurt or scare your chicks at all, they might even take care of them and keep them warm. Also at 4 weeks and 38 degrees celcius they may not need the hens' warmth. Especially if they have lots of feathers.

The chicks are about three week old but I should really get them out of the house..any suggestions on the best way to do so?
We have a coop..it's not quite finished but it's still a shelter. The weather has been about 50s and rainy..if I move them should I keep a light on them or should I find a better way?

you WILL get tired of having them inside! besides the peeping and the smell, they scratch which makes more dust then i thought was possible!

if i were you, make your outside coop into a brooder. you still have time!
make it draft free, but with air circulation, and able to maintain the proper temperature for chicks with heat lamps. i bet you can do it!!

good luck
That's exactly what I am doing. Have chicks arriving next week.

I'm reading all these comment and I'm still not sure what to do. I have 15 ICA Reds and they are growing rapidly at only 2 n a half weeks old they have feathers andsome are flying out of their brooder. I have them indoors with a heat lamp in a medplastic horse trout and it's getting really tiring getting them off edges and chasing them around when they actually get out. I say their too young and don't want them ding cause of the chilly nite temp 30s here now. Some chicks are not as mature as the others..thinking may we should move the ones with feathers then bring the less mature in the small coop we made for them. Any suggestions or comment would greatly be appreciated!

@cosmosweaver11

I'd say they're definitely too young to move outside, especially with the chilly temperatures recently! In my research I've read to let them out at minimum four weeks old IF the weather is warm. If you're concerned about them escaping, I've found keeping a sheet of hardware cloth or screen over the top of the brooder will prevent them from flying out. I'd really recommend waiting until they're fully feathered and a bit larger (I know how you feel, they can be a hassle... Even if they are adorable!)

I'm reading all these comment and I'm still not sure what to do. I have 15 ICA Reds and they are growing rapidly at only 2 n a half weeks old they have feathers andsome are flying out of their brooder. I have them indoors with a heat lamp in a medplastic horse trout and it's getting really tiring getting them off edges and chasing them around when they actually get out. I say their too young and don't want them ding cause of the chilly nite temp 30s here now. Some chicks are not as mature as the others..thinking may we should move the ones with feathers then bring the less mature in the small coop we made for them. Any suggestions or comment would greatly be appreciated!

They'll still need heat for a good 3-4 weeks, at night especially. If you can run heat to the coop, then by all means move them out. If not, find a way to cover the brooder cause you're in for a few more weeks of brooding them indoors. Unless you have an outdoor space you can run heat to, like a shed or garage.

Back
Top Bottom