At what age can we put them into the run?

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
I have a separate coop for my chicks. It has it's own run which we hope to complete the top on this weekend so they can go out.

My question is: As long as they can go back inside to the heat lamp at their own choosing, what age can I let them out into the run?

Then once they are allowed into the run, do I need to be concerned about windy days and lock them in or just let them decide where to be?

I would let them out after 4 days, as long as it's secure and it's not raining. They LOVE playing and hiding under hosta plants. I'd only let them out for a few hours in the evening to begin with.
smile.png

If they have the choice of hot/cold areas, they will choose the location where they are most comfortable. If you find them huddled under the light, then maybe try to close the area in a little to cut off any drafts.

If they are secure from predators and have food, water and heat available, they should do just fine.

My girls have been out for a week and I have had them for 6 weeks today so they are going on 7 weeks. I lock them up in the coop at night because I dont want to thake any chances. I get up and let them out about 7am and leave the door to the coop open. They come out and play and when they are tired or its windy or rainy they will go in on their own. I have tried to let them self regulate just to see what happens and for the past 3 nights when I have gone out to put them to bed about 8:00 they are already up sitting on their roost. I also go out and turn on a flashlight inside the coop about 7:30 and leave it on inside all night. They have really been such good girls its amazing.
smile.png
Oh also thier run is attached to the coop and is covered so they are safe.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. The run will be secure and attached to the coop. They have their heat lamp inside the coop but, no longer stay right by it. Once the run is finished I'll open their little door and see what they do.
smile.png

They went out, with a little encouragement.
smile.png
They seem to like it outside and haven't gone back in yet. We have rain with possible storms forecasted for tonight so, I will have to put them back in before I go to bed tonight.

The chick run is complete enough I was able to let the first hatch outside into their run late this aft.
1sthatch2009outside.jpg

1sthatch2009outside2.jpg

We ran out of the hardware cloth so DH covered it with plywood for now. I'll also put a tarp over the end by the coop to provide shade and cover in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom