At what age do chicks need their nesting box?

kaflemin

Chirping
15 Years
May 1, 2009
Bellingham
Hello everyone!
First off - thanks to all of you for all the fantastic information. I've been learning so much.

I have three 4 1/2 week old golden sex links girls. They are going to live in a tractor while I build their more permanent all season home this summer. Space is a little limited in the tractor (2 x 3 coop space, 3 x 5 run space). I feel the space will be ample while they're growing, but I'm trying to be as efficient as I can. So! My question is - do they need their nest box yet? If not, at what age should I make sure to put it in.

Thank you!
Katie

welcome-byc.gif
from VT!

I still haven't put in nest boxes for my 8 week old girls since I don't want them playing around and making a mess in there yet. I left space for the boxes so I guess I'll be putting them in at 20 weeksish per Jenn's advice. Thanks!
wee.gif

We put in our nest box when the girls were about 3 or 4 months old . . . they showed absolutely no interest in it. So when I knew they were getting closer to laying (about 4 weeks ago) I started luring them into it, and I left a few golf balls in it to give them the idea. This was mainly because I was afraid they'd otherwise start laying UNDERNEATH the hen house, where I can't reach very well. It worked like a charm - they learned how to get in and out of the box, got the notion to lay there (I think) from the golf balls, and from day one they've been going in and getting busy with no problem.

We put the boxes in right away, bc we had someone building them. Mine are around 6 weeks old and some of them use it as a place to get away from the ones on the floor. Sometimes I'll see 3 hens in one box. So I guess if you aren't fussy, you could also use them as a 'get away' for the picked on ones.

Quote:
Just how it's supposed to happen!
clap.gif
Unfortunately it's not the same with all chicken owners.

Back
Top Bottom