Attaching hard wire cloth in front of windows in coop

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
Hello and happy love day to all,

What do I purchase at the supply store to attach the hardwire cloth/over windows in my coop

I see little round disk looking things on your photos

Could you give me the list of supplies

I have another coop coming Thursday and want to get started on that this upcoming weekend

Thank u all

You can use fence staples which look like the letter 'U', or use washers and screws. There may be some other ways. They are an excellent idea, we use the hardware cloth to prevent accidents.
cool.png

As long as you have wood around your windows you can use wood screws and flat washers. Pretty simple to do. Check with your local hardware store they will point you in the right direction. Just don't let anyone talk you into stapling it down with a staple gun. It will not be predator proof if you do. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ripped a lath of wood from a 2 X 4 and used nails to nail the lath down over the edge of the hardware cloth. You can buy strips of wood (laths), but a table saw can turn them out as many as you need quickly.

I just ripped a lath of wood from a 2 X 4 and used nails to nail the lath down over the edge of the hardware cloth. You can buy strips of wood (laths), but a table saw can turn them out as many as you need quickly.

I did the same.​

Quote:
At my hardware store, the washers are called automotive washers. They have a large outer diameter (around 1 - 1.5") and a small inner diameter, which is just large enough for your wood screw. The most secure washer size is larger than your hardware cloth "square".

I used automotive washers to attach my cattle panels to my 2x4 structure. It is fast and very secure. I have a different opinion about staples. I exclusively used staples for attaching my hardware cloth to my coop window openings and it is very secure. I used a pneumatic stapler with 1 inch deep staples every 4 inches. Half inch long staples every foot will most certainly be insufficient. It all depends on the type, size and frequency of the application.

The only thing I don't like about staples is a large raccoon could rip them out. I've seen pics of them ripping off siding. We were going to use washers until we discovered they are ~50c each! We hunted around the house and settled on beer bottle caps and pennies. They're both big enough to cover the holes and a power drill will drive a sheetrock screw through them without pre-drilling. Place the caps top side facing you to avoid sharp edges.
smile.png

Thank u to each of u for helping me..My other soon to be coop should be here Thursday

It's a playhouse..so I think I will take out the screens and add hardwire..or do I just leave the screens..well, guess I will figure that part out

Whoop whoop

Now to get more paint , hardware cloth and other times to revamp it into a coop

Xoxo

Quote:
I used fender washers. The diameter is pretty wide but the hole is small so the drywall type screw will snug up against it with out falling through. I used them in the run and for hardware cloth on the windows and other openings. At Home Depot I bought 100 for about 10.00. Used them all. They were handy.

Back
Top Bottom