Attaching/securing a run with bigger dimensions than coop

green_thumb

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Central Ohio
You all have been so helpful so far in my previous thread. As I work on the inside, I am contemplating run construction.

The coop is about 8x6-ish with the pop door on one of the 6ft sides. I would like to build a covered run that is 8x16 and 8ft tall, but I am not sure the best way to secure it to the coop since the dimensions will be different and with a different roof pitch (hoping to slant the run roof all to one side). I tried to do a search but it looks like almost everyone builds their runs with either the same or smaller dimensions of the coop side they are joined up to....:confused:

I'll upload a picture showing the pop-door side later, but this gives you an idea of what I'm working with:

1F895B4A-32EA-435E-BD9B-76F5F6B529FA.jpeg

There are always different ways to do this. I handled it by setting my grow-out coop away from the run fencing and building a tunnel in between, from the pop door to the fence out of 1/2" hardware cloth.

I made two mistakes when I did this. It is too shallow, it should be at least 18" tall and 24" wouldn't be too much. A full-sized mature rooster can't stand up in mine. He'd use it but stay squatted down and sort of crawl along.

I made it so I had to walk outside the run to shut it. My run gate was far far away so pretty inconvenient. If I did it again I'd find a way to shut it from in the run or have the run human gate right there.

Tunnel.JPG

I agree, make a tunnel between the 2.

Or even make it less tunnel like and more like a 3 foot by 3 foot box. That would give you space to rake it out to clean it without having to bend over.

If you live with crazy amounts of rain, or any amount of snow, roof it. In that case you could maybe use a cute dog house to connect the coop to the run...but do make sure it is easy to clean!

I made a "wall" of welded wire fence to connect the poorly made coop to the run. Hind sight being pretty sharp I would have just made the run longer and closed off one end for the roosting area.

run-02.jpg

JT

...or...make pop door operable from inside coop. ;)

Yep depends on your set-up. You can have different solutions. In his case, my coop was an elevated Grow-Out coop I could not get inside of. When I needed to operate the door was morning and night due to predator protection at night, that wasn't too bad. But when I was training chicks to sleep in the Grow-Out coop instead of on the run floor floor was when it did get aggravating. The Grow-Out coop was a later addition and the way it was set up I'd have been a lot better off being able to close it from the run. It just never got aggravating enough for me to fix it.

The pop door is currently set up to swing out from the outside so you bring up a great point @Ridgerunner. I'm not opposed to building a "bump-out" on the run, as I guess whatever I do with my setup, it's going to be a pain to build in any case!

You all have been so helpful so far in my previous thread. As I work on the inside, I am contemplating run construction.

The coop is about 8x6-ish with the pop door on one of the 6ft sides. I would like to build a covered run that is 8x16 and 8ft tall, but I am not sure the best way to secure it to the coop since the dimensions will be different and with a different roof pitch (hoping to slant the run roof all to one side). I tried to do a search but it looks like almost everyone builds their runs with either the same or smaller dimensions of the coop side they are joined up to....:confused:

I'll upload a picture showing the pop-door side later, but this gives you an idea of what I'm working with:

View attachment 1758121
Hard to tell without seeing all four sides and what is on those sides, and also knowing the dimensions of your coop.

Back
Top Bottom