Attack on Child

It's a rare occurrence but that is my thought exactly! Any "toe gazers" I spot immediately get picked up with "forced cuddles" or pushed away. However, I should note since footwear is a concern that attire changes from simply going to let the chickens out versus working in the run/coop. If I am turning, shoveling, scooping or otherwise spending extended time or moving materials then full toed shoes and pants are a must for me at least.

I've only had hens be mean while sitting eggs and that mostly been angry noises and pecks. The one exception was a silkie pullet. She bit me hard enough to leave a bruise and she was rehomed the next day. Hens have never chased me or the children in an aggressive manner. I have had roosters come at me and I get rid of them. I have chickens for pleasure and mean ones are not pleasurable. I can understand a chicken defending itself, but it sounds like she just doesn't like him any more. I'd keep an eye on future interactions and decide from there.

Very true. And I am not going to make a stark decision after one incident. There have been no issues since. But I am curious about the possibilities it could be.

TEVA sandals are my preferred "out and about" shoe in the yard. Never have I been pooped on or kicked poop onto myself.

Sometimes hens go mean. My parents had a hatchery barred rock hen that would chase people around go after any bare flesh or, even better, eyes if you bent over to pick something up or something (they ate her because getting bit would bleed and hurt-A LOT and she liked blood). I don't know if your girl will escalate that far, but hens do occasionally get nasty to people too. Our girl couldn't re-learn (I remember going outside to fill waterers with an umbrella to snap open and herd her away from me until I was done) but you might be able to figure out a way to rehab yours. She may need to be away from kids at least.

Oh boy. I'm at work but my wife said that when free ranging Mohawk was being a d bag again. Went after Radley and "fronted" on her once or twice. She may just end up being our first dinner bird...Sucks because she is my favorite.

EDIT: nvm. Apparently mohawk came up to him in his red shoes and she just stood protectively by him...But says she is acting differently than before.

Last edited:
Maybe she needs a time out! I feel for you as we have been having issues with our rooster.

I had to go rescue my 10 year old as he wouldn’t quit chasing her and let her come back to the house from her tree swing. He will occasionally try his luck with me which ends in a quick but effective bird butt whooping which earns me a reprieve for a few days. I have been trying to find him a different home but I think he may just be destined for the stewpot.

Luckily all of our girls are sweet as can be.

I have not seen Mohawk specifically get broody. But we do have a broody leghorn. All of our broody phasers have growled when we disturb them but none of struck out. They just have this aura of "dammit not again" when we kick them off the eggs lol.

How to rehab then? Especially a chicken that does not mind being picked up by everyone historically.

Can the introduction of the new chickens and disruption of the pecking order have anything to do with this?

And no chance of a molt being a cause? I am finding tons of feathers in the run as of late. At first I thought someone had been attacked!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom