Attempted break-in!

Karrie13

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Minnesota
Someone tried to break into our house on Friday!!! It was sometime between 7:15 pm and 9:00 pm and we weren’t home at the time. They didn’t get into the house but damaged the steel door. It looks like they pushed or kicked it a couple of times and one more kick would have had them in the house. The door split on the inside about 2 feet long and the steel was creased. We saw fresh car tracks in the driveway too. We live in a rural town too! Not sure why anyone would even attempt to break in, our road is fairly busy and we do have a neighbor on one side of us. I am not sure what stopped them from finishing the job and getting into the house, maybe someone drove by, maybe my neighbor’s dog barked, or could have had something to do with my 85 lb Rottweiler in the house.

So we are replacing the door now and the one we are replacing it with also has a deadbolt. I just don’t feel safe without one anymore especially since my husband is an over the road truck driver. Thank goodness for scary looking dogs! I also have a gun or three handy when I am home and I know very well how to use them.

Glad to read you are OK and they did not make it in.Even an attemped break in can shake you to the core.

Thats why I never forget to have my spiked brass knuckles ready when I go to bed I hate the thought of some creep coming into my house.

PHEW, glad to hear you weren't home and they didn't get in! YIKES!

Sounds like you guys made a very smart call on what type of door to install... and lock too.

Didja ask your neighbors if they saw/heard anything funny? Or if their dog went bananas for seemingly no reason?

Whoa, that's not only scary but a real cause for anger, too. Glad the perp didn't get in and to know you have a sturdier door and a big Rottie! Did you let the PD or Sheriff know about it? They will drive by a tad more often for a while, very reassuring to know they are around.

A word of advice about the deadbolt- run 3" or longer screws into both the hinge plates of the door and the strikeplate- get some serious frame involved in them, makes it much harder to kick it in.

That is scary. We had someone try to break in when we were home in the middle of the night when we lived in Phx. He tried to kick the back door in and was super high on something. We had a solid wood door on it that opened out not in so he couldnt kick it in before the police got there. This guy had blood all over our back door. The police tackled him in our front yard and he was actually howling like a wolf in the police car... He had just got out of jail for assault and home invasion. We got guns after that. It was a good thing my dh was home that night (he worked nights at a hospital at the time) or I would have been home alone with three babies.

Back
Top Bottom