Attracting Predators

SunshineSteedFarm

Seramatching Equestrian
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Georgia
We do not have a fenced in back yard, but we live in a small (15 house) suburb and we have over an acre of land. We are wanting to build a chicken coop. The problem is that someone is thinking that having the chickens in the backyard will attract predators. We do have small hawks, and we dont see many coyotes around. We also have a dog too. So will building the coop and having chickens attract many predators? The coop would be near the deck.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I used to never see wildlife in my backyard but since the girls moved in, yeah, you see everything. Preds, pests, and wanted creatures. It boosts the ecosystem but it's nothing to worry about. Just hope you don't get gators snooping around hahahahaha THAT is probably the weirdest predator I've ever had.

When you build the coop though, be careful not to get splinters because I got some bad ones that got infected when we first caught chicken-fever (... as in... we like them, not like an actual disease... <3 )

I'm not sure what would attract a predator but do know that if you have chickens something will come along that creates havoc. Sometimes I think my roosters crow is his way of saying "Hey ya'll, chow and fun for all is over this way". Chickens are very near the bottom of the food chain.

A "secure" place at night is a must. Pay more attention to the coop than the run. Coop has to be made tight and sturdy. Free ranging them in daytime is indeed a wonderful thing for them to enjoy just prepare yourself for eventual loss from one thing or another.

edited for levity

Last edited:
Yes, having chickens attract predators, and chicks attract even more. But having a dog should help. My dogs make so much rucous, I haven't seen a natural predator in thee years. Well, okay, there's a snake living in my garden, but I don't count him because I have no chicks or keets, plus he eats the mice.

If you're worried about predators attacking your chickens, if you contain them in a secure henhouse and pen, you shouldn't have much trouble.

If your neighbors worried about attracting predators for their own sake, just break it to them that they're already there. They just haven't seen them.

Personally I think the critters are there all ready,you just dont notice them as much till you have chickens and are protecting them..Since Ive always been aware of the wild life ard us,we had fox,coyotes,oppossums,raccons,hawks,owls,copper heads,timber rattlers and black n garden snakes and deer a plenty long before my girls.I do agree that your coop being secure makes alot of difference.We had a garden shed and it was a "play house for the kids" then back to a shed and now..."our coop" Prior to the girls we had a wood chiuck that had made a home under the shed,we totally forgot abt that and when DH converted the shed to the coop he also put the heavy guage wire under the ground and nailed it to the base of the shed and 8 ft privacy fence that goes ard from the back right corner to the front left corner of the shed.This is the "run"..aka"play yard...It is also all along the top.Nailed to the top/inside of the privacy fence,so nothing can swoop in..I lock the girls up at night ard 7 pm in the fall and 8;15 pm in the summer and let them out ard 6 ish in the am.I do check on the during the day and we go out and sit w/them and feed them treats.Even though we have over 1 1/2 acres we cant let them free range. One night I went in to do "lock down" I picked up the board for the trap door and there was a opossum in there behind the wood used for the trap door...Thought I was gonna....p...my pants..Of course that was the night I had no kids home,no phone w/me and no gun w/me...Yikes!! I used the boared n scurried him out ...when my son got home a hr later we went on a possum hunt w/no luck...Next day,we filled in the hole from the wood chuck,put big bolders ard the base of the shed and added more heavy duty guage wire ard the base.Did find the spot he entered and it wasnt nailed secure in a few places..My neighbor spotted a coyote w/mange last week n gave me heads up,there is also a mama fox w/babies in the field across the road.So I do believe there is already the wild life ard,but they can smell "chicken" for miles..Just make sure your coop is secure,keep a eye on things and do the best you can.I love my girls and am so very happy we have them,they are great and very spoiled..We are planning on more in the spring.Good luck to you.Hope that helps.Chickon baby.

Chickon baby is right- all those predators are already around before you get chickens. They just have a reason to hang around more often once you get chickens. Having chickens is worth the extra hassle, though.

If you think they aren't there it's because you are never outside when they are.

I walk my dog at night, sometimes 2-4am (I used to work night shift) and people would swear that we don't have "xyz" in the city. That's because they weren't out at 2am to SEE them. They're there all the time. People just don't notice or care, until they have chickens.

My backyard is against a stretch of conservancy andI hear/see coyotes often. They will come close to the houses. I also know we have racoons, possums, owls and hawks. Since getting chickens this spring I have only seen a coyote once, during daylight (not unusual, happens sveral times a season), hear the owls and still see the hawks outfront.The people 2 oors down had a racoon under their shed. I actually see less predators this summer. I know the hawks hang out streetside in our cul-de-sac....my next door neighbor has a lot of bird feeders and feeds year round....thee hawks and cats love it....My yard is fenced in and I have two dogs so I have not had coyotes or coons in my yard (that I know of) and only found a possum once a couple of years back. So - I think chickens will attract predators but not any that are nor nearby to begin with. ANd people that feed cats/dogs outside, are careless with leftover food in garbage or feed birds and squirrels and rabbits attract them too....

I live in a wooded rural area that is known to have all variety of predators, from foxes and raccoons to coyotes, bears and mountain lions. I am considering raising chickens or turkeys but concerned about the increased threat to my 2 dogs (one old and slow) and more importantly, my 6 year old son. I let my son play outside during the day, and my dogs live inside but obviously go out (day or night) to take care of business.

Looking for opinions of rural folks with young children and their view of whether I am increasing the risk of predatory attacks on my child or dogs by keeping birds.

Back
Top Bottom