Australorp: hens mounting other hens

Beta

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Originally I purchased 9 pullets. One turned out to be a rooster...long story but he's gone. Then one day one died but she had dirt in her mouth and nostrils. We were pretty perplexed as these hens were all pretty healthy. Then one day I saw one hen mount another and vibrate on her head and neck. I got her off the other chicken then noticed over time the chickens began losing head and neck feathers. Turns out she was mounting them and probably mounted the one that died asphyxiating her in the dirt until she died. At that point we put the "bad girl" in a large dog cage in the coop. This bad behavior was then past on to a second hen who is also living with "bad girl" in the large dog pen. The problem is that there must be a third because one chicken has head feathers and the rest are starting to look bad again. They are just passing this behavior on. I know this isn't fair to the other chickens to have to endure. I'm running out of room and ideas. Help!!!

Beth

They have a 10’x20’ coop, they are allowed to free range every other day. I’ve seen one hen mount another while out free ranging with unlimited room to get away. They are not roosters. I had a rooster but he’s gone to chicken heaven; enlarged heart.

I brought 6 Australorps into my flock of 10 Buckeyes. The A's killed one buckeye and pecked 2 others bald. So now the A's are dinner and I have more Buckeyes, they are very docile. And the bald ones have regrown feathers.

Back
Top Bottom