Australorps breed Thread

I took a couple of pictures today.

They are from Hupp Farms. The two Black pictures are the same pullet. The other black was off laying an egg.

Pretty girls
love.gif

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to share older pics of our "Blues Brothers" (the one with the brown leakage in the wing has spread to both side, so we sold both of them.

We only have blacks now, will be back on the hunt for another blue next time we hatch.

Hey Geoff,
I had a look at the pictures of your birds. Nice stock! How long have you had Australorps?
Trev

G'day Trev,
I've kept them off and on for around 40 years, mostly Utility strains, but some Exhibition blood. I've only been trying to breed seriously to our SOP in the last 3 years, however, since I retired. It's so much easier to get started here as good stock is quite readily available. I started with 2 lines, one from a State Champion cockerel breeder and the other a pullet breeder with similar success. They, and those who supplied their original blood had done all the hard work! All I had to do was hope the 2 lines blended well and try pick birds that complimented each other. I'm pleased with the pullets but the first two years' cockerels weren't up to scratch so I'm trying a Cockerel from the same blood as my original pullet line. Not adding totally new blood to the mix. Fingers crossed. They're a bit young but a few look to have some potential.
Cheers Geoff

Nice birds, Ron.
Conformation has really moved away from your American Utilities and is closer to what I'm familiar with. Of course, correct conformation should always be our top priority. I have to keep telling myself this, as I can too easily get caught up in details with my own birds! It might be the light, but I couldn't help but notice how dark in the face your black girl seems. Is this a characteristic of this line? Just a comment, Ron, not a criticism.
Cheers Geoff

Nice birds, Ron.
Conformation has really moved away from your American Utilities and is closer to what I'm familiar with. Of course, correct conformation should always be our top priority. I have to keep telling myself this, as I can too easily get caught up in details with my own birds! It might be the light, but I couldn't help but notice how dark in the face your black girl seems. Is this a characteristic of this line? Just a comment, Ron, not a criticism.
Cheers Geoff

Thanks Geoff!

She was the only Blue to hatch from the Hupp eggs. I took a couple more pictures of her and will post them when I get onto the other computer. Others on here hatched Blue Australorp eggs from Hupp Farms this year so maybe the will have more pictures of their faces.

They are Big, so definitely not quite the same as the US Standard. I like them so far.

Back
Top Bottom