Australorps breed Thread

G'day from Australia,

I haven't posted in here for quite some time as I've been fairly busy on other projects. I've been lecturing with The Winning Edge Seminar Group and we have a massive task to do in seven days at the Sydney Royal Easter Show..
Here is a link for those interested http://www.winningedgepoultry.com.au

I can recall sending some of Ray Connor's books to a few of you in the USA, l and I was talking to Ray on the phone yesterday, and he asked me if I had heard from any of you.

I have recently completed the second edition of two little booklets. They are both in A3 format, and set as A4 booklets. All are in greyscale print. I initially did 300 copies in 2011 and they sold out within months.
We have sold 250 copies of the 2nd edition in the last three weeks and we have another 500 being printed for the Sydney Royal Easter Show.

The first is "Judging Exhibition Poultry". This is a 32 x A4 page booklet.
The second is "Incubation & Health of Chickens" This is a 20 x A4 page booklet.

If anyone in the USA wants them they are USD $25.00, for the pair, postage paid from Australia to the USA. A bulk order of 10 to the one address, within the USA, would be USD $215.00 posted.

Unfortunately the new postage fees from Australia to the USA is a bit of a killer, but they are worth the read.

If anyone is interested please let me know by message, or email to [email protected] and I'll give you some direct banking and/or PayPal details.

Regards,

Ross Summerell - Australorp Breeder
So all together 1 issue is $25 with shipping? If it's $215 then that's a crap price cause my aunt sends alot of large kilos of olive oil from Greece to America and it's only $120 fee on the cargo ship it's about 300+ pounds.. A book is like 2 pounds if that?

Hi Ben,
I'm presuming that they were both cockerels???? Never heard of this method. Interesting, but need more detail on what indicates what!!!
Cheers Geoff

Yes, both were males. CB was saying that he picks it from the thickness of the comb, which shows quite early. Pullets have a more thin or narrow comb where the males have a thicker or wider comb, evident even at this early age.

I find it hard to describe better than that, but he had said once you have looked at a few, especially side by side you get a knack for it.

Oh no,
let's not go here again, folks. Vam, language a bit strong, mate. Makes Ross seem like a rip off merchant and he has done a lot for some on here. Must admit that the price seems a bit steep. Gotta be a better way to do it. I certainly value his expertise, although I have found him a bit prickly.Ross, if you happen to read this, I was critical of the lack of action on the forum. At no time was it a criticism of the very good Australian Club website. Oh well, never mind. Do let's try to be civil to each other as this is a really good thread at its best.
Ben, back to business. Thanks, mate, that's clearer. I'll give it a try. Sounds a tad more logical than the bloody crystals!
Cheers Geoff

So all together 1 issue is $25 with shipping? If it's $215 then that's a crap price cause my aunt sends alot of large kilos of olive oil from Greece to America and it's only $120 fee on the cargo ship it's about 300+ pounds.. A book is like 2 pounds if that?

You have trouble reading and comprehending? I thought he made it very clear on costs! It is a shame to run a knowledgeable Aussie breeder and true gentleman off! Welcome all idiots! Run off anyone that can truly contribute. Sorry Ross!! You are well respected on this thread! Sometimes you have to overlook the very, very few!!

Dan

Quote: The wing feathers on my two chicks appear like the ones in the above picture.
On the cokerel in the picture below, the primaries are shorter, but the coverts are not plainly defined, while the pullet has longer primaries, but the coverts are plainly defined, and irregular in length from the primaries.
My chicks, as in the above picture, appear to have the longer primaries which would indicate a pullet, but the coverts are not plainly defined as in the picture below, which would indicate a cockerel. Maybe when I get more chicks hatched out, I will have a better basis for comparison, and can better tell by wing feather sexing. It may be as someone else suggested, that this breed does not lend itself to wing feather sexing.

As for tail feather sexing, I don't think mine are really old enough yet. Maybe the comb width sexing works, I will see when they get older, or I have hatched more chicks, so I have a better basis for comparison. Of course, I fully intend to grow them out, so I'll know for sure then.

The wing feathers on my two chicks appear like the ones in the above picture.
On the cokerel in the picture below, the primaries are shorter, but the coverts are not plainly defined, while the pullet has longer primaries, but the coverts are plainly defined, and irregular in length from the primaries.
My chicks, as in the above picture, appear to have the longer primaries which would indicate a pullet, but the coverts are not plainly defined as in the picture below, which would indicate a cockerel. Maybe when I get more chicks hatched out, I will have a better basis for comparison, and can better tell by wing feather sexing. It may be as someone else suggested, that this breed does not lend itself to wing feather sexing.

As for tail feather sexing, I don't think mine are really old enough yet. Maybe the comb width sexing works, I will see when they get older, or I have hatched more chicks, so I have a better basis for comparison. Of course, I fully intend to grow them out, so I'll know for sure then.

Australorps are not feather sex able because they feather at the same rate.

Last edited:
Thank you Ron. I suspected as much, but wasn't completely sure. tnmommy, I guess that answers your question.

I had a list of wing feather sex able breeds but the link does not work. I will check on some University sites today and find a new list.

I did find a note that a hatchery spent three years in the 50 coming up with a line of meat birds that were feather sex able.

Back
Top Bottom