Australorps breed Thread

Even though "it" has a yellow/tan comb? "It" actually has the lightest comb out of all of my 10 weekers. What makes you think its a he? Just curious... I am new so I could very easily be wrong but wouldn't it be pinking up is it was a he? They were all bought from a farm as 8 week pullets as to lessen the odds of getting a he. Not that mistakes cant happen just trying to cut down on them. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks for the input though as now I will keep a close eye out for it!
Yellow/tan comb at this age means nothing as it will likely change colors a few times over the next year. It's overall bearing says 'cockerel' to me and getting it from a farm CAN be far worse than getting them from a hatchery, with regards to gender, unless there is someone on that farm who truly understands how to differentiate the 'twix and twine'.

I'm only giving my unsolicited opinion and I'm sorry for doing that. I've seen thousands of young Australorps and I have caponized around 50 or more yearly, at 4 to 6 weeks of age and I'm rarely wrong on birds I can touch...but I truly hope I'm wrong in this case, and that's a fact.

Even though "it" has a yellow/tan comb? "It" actually has the lightest comb out of all of my 10 weekers. What makes you think its a he? Just curious... I am new so I could very easily be wrong but wouldn't it be pinking up is it was a he? They were all bought from a farm as 8 week pullets as to lessen the odds of getting a he. Not that mistakes cant happen just trying to cut down on them. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks for the input though as now I will keep a close eye out for it!

I think you have a pullet.

Yellow/tan comb at this age means nothing as it will likely change colors a few times over the next year. It's overall bearing says 'cockerel' to me and getting it from a farm CAN be far worse than getting them from a hatchery, with regards to gender, unless there is someone on that farm who truly understands how to differentiate the 'twix and twine'.

I'm only giving my unsolicited opinion and I'm sorry for doing that. I've seen thousands of young Australorps and I have caponized around 50 or more yearly, at 4 to 6 weeks of age and I'm rarely wrong on birds I can touch...but I truly hope I'm wrong in this case, and that's a fact.
No worries. I wasn't upset about you offering your opinion at all. I hope you dont think i was. I welcome ANY ad all input even if it not what I wanted to hear. Just a little worried I may have a Roo now and I don't want one. I am new and don't know most of the signs thats why I asked for clarification and others input. What should I watch for as far as signs as it ages?

Quote:
It looks like a pullet to me still...
To pick out a Roo
Size is sometimes a tell . They will normally be bigger than the hens
See how much bigger my roo is than the hens ?

A large comb . Wattles showing at a early age . Large Legs .

This is my 1/2 aussie I.think hes a boy notice the large comb

as they age they will start showing Hackle Feathers on their neck area, Saddle feathers in their tail
500x1000px-LL-554d1eab_Rooster.jpeg

does that help ?

Back
Top Bottom