Australorps breed Thread

I ended up with one maybe 3 of these chicks. Tractor supply must not be good at identifying different kinds of chicks. They were in a tub that said barred rocks and buff Orpingtons' this is my first time raising chicks, but I didn't think they were barred rocks by looking at the picture they had, I got 2 barred rocks and 3 without white spots. One for sure looks like this breed, I'm unsure on gender, I think pullet so I call the chick a her, shadow is around 6 weeks now, very dark black, no stripes like barred rock she was labeled as, but I've noticed she's getting a golden brown around her neck and hints of this color on her wings. She looks like some pics I saw on here, I saw a too that was colored like her I hope that doesn't make her a him. She's one of my sweetest chicks she likes to hang out on my shoulder and always wants to visit the ducklings but they're scared of the chicks. She has a comb but not wattles, but her comb isn't as big as a chick the same age as her that I'm positive is a too his comb is larger and turning red, hers is still yellow and his wattles are starting to protrude already red, he was supposed to be a buff orpington but he has black mingled in on his wings and tail, I picked chicks from the same tub since they were already being kept together and so far I think only 2 out of 8 are roos. My other two chicks had yellow spots on there face yellow chests too there two longest wing feathers are white but they seem to be staying black as they feather out but they don't look quite the same as shadow, so just because tractor supply says specialty breed straight run sure doesn't mean that's the breed you're getting. Of course I don't mind they're different its made them easier to tell apart and I bought mine as pets and for eggs they've been kept inside and handled daily they have adopted me as mama they eagerly greet me when they see me and run to me not away from me they all love to pile on me for attention
1f60a.png

She sounds like a black sexlink and if so would be a pullet.

Post a picture and we will be able to tell more.

On the first page of this thread she looks identical to the hens body and face, I just noticed recently she's getting the brown color like a too pic on the first page, and I think its the 1 st pic of a group of chicks, she looked identical to the one in the middle. I wish I could post pics of love to show off my flock lol, but my phone won't work on this site uploading pics

Ok when I look at 1st page the first 2 pics say unavailable not sure if its just my phone so 3rd pic on 1st page shadow looked identical to that when I bought her

I can't post any from my phone that's my only internet I tried switching to desk top from my phone it still didnt work

I can from my phone. Do you get the little mountain button above the text box when you are typing?

Actually now I think of it I do have problems when not on wifi. It takes forever and doesn't seem to want to upload the photo off the phone. Is that what yours is doing?
If so go into your camera settings and take a photo at the lowest resolution so that it's a smaller file that it has to upload.

If that doesn't work try from McDonald's or somewhere they let you use their free wifi next time you you can.

Last edited:
Only one of my Bielefelders hatched this time. The poor guy was so lonely I just had to get him some friends. I couldn't find any really young chicks close to his size, but so far he seems to be getting along well with the larger three week-old White Rocks I purchased from the feed store. They don't peck at him and they have no problem letting him snuggle in with them.

Back
Top Bottom