Australorps breed Thread

They are awesome birds! I love my girls, they're my favorite breed! Always lay these huge eggs, and I love their personality!
~~I would love it if you could tell me more about your chickens! I'm getting some chickens of my own and didn't realize that there are so many breeds available! I know what I want in a chicken and I think that Australorp will probably be the bird for me, but I want to be absolutely sure before committing. These are some of the traits I need my chicken to have. 1. Non-Broody 2. Great Layer 3. Good Personality aka Easy to get along with 5. I want it to be a dual purpose breed so that when it stops laying it can be used for meat. 6. I would prefer that it lay large eggs (the color doesn't matter to me.) Also I live in a place where it is incredibly hot in the summer, and cold in the winter so hardiness is really, really important. I realize this is a lot to cover but I think the mighty Australorp can handle it :) Any help you could give me or if you could even point me to a different breed would be greatly appreciated!

D.gif
I would love it if you could tell me more about your chickens! I'm getting some chickens of my own and didn't realize that there are so many breeds available! I know what I want in a chicken and I think that Australorp will probably be the bird for me, but I want to be absolutely sure before committing. These are some of the traits I need my chicken to have. 1. Non-Broody 2. Great Layer 3. Good Personality aka Easy to get along with 5. I want it to be a dual purpose breed so that when it stops laying it can be used for meat. 6. I would prefer that it lay large eggs (the color doesn't matter to me.) Also I live in a place where it is incredibly hot in the summer, and cold in the winter so hardiness is really, really important. I realize this is a lot to cover but I think the mighty Australorp can handle it :) Any help you could give me or if you could even point me to a different breed would be greatly appreciated!

You have picked the correct breed for what you want. They fit all of it. The Roosters combs are a bit large but the do fine in the cold. Chooks chicks taught some of her Roosters to tuck their heads in at night to avoid frost bite. You may need to do that if it is really cold where you are and by cold I mean below 0F.

They do fine at temps up to 112 here in the Summer too.

I have three year old Hatchery australorps and those hens have meat on them!

You have picked the correct breed for what you want. They fit all of it. The Roosters combs are a bit large but the do fine in the cold. Chooks chicks taught some of her Roosters to tuck their heads in at night to avoid frost bite. You may need to do that if it is really cold where you are and by cold I mean below 0F.

They do fine at temps up to 112 here in the Summer too.

I have three year old Hatchery australorps and those hens have meat on them!

Thank you so much!! It doesn't get quite that cold, actually it doesn't get much colder than 20 degrees so that's not a problem. I'm actually looking for some right now but I'm not having that much luck. I'm in north FL and if you could tell me if you know of any good breeders or hatcheries here that would be great!!

Thank you so much!! It doesn't get quite that cold, actually it doesn't get much colder than 20 degrees so that's not a problem. I'm actually looking for some right now but I'm not having that much luck. I'm in north FL and if you could tell me if you know of any good breeders or hatcheries here that would be great!!

There is someone in Florida or Georgia! I hope they chime in here.

There is someone in Florida or Georgia! I hope they chime in here.

I found someone that was selling Australorps on BYC last spring.

They are in Plant City. It may be close enough to you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/759594/australorp-chicks-plant-city-florida

Send them a PM to get on their list for this year.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'm in Central Florida. I should have chicks available in March.
That is great news!

I think that's Cindy. That's who I got my birds from. She had to get rid of all of her chickens this past fall.
I am sorry she had to give them up.

But I am happy that you are able to keep them going!

That is great news!

I am sorry she had to give them up.

But I am happy that you are able to keep them going!

She was able to find a couple of us to continue the line and commit to showing the birds, so she's happy. She's hoping to get back into them once her situation changes. In the meantime, I got some really nice birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom