Australorps breed Thread

Hi everyone. I just came by to see some awesome pics of this great breed and to share info and all that. I have 3 two month old Black Australorps, they are the sweetest things. Hope to see some pics of the more rare colors

Hi Everyone, this could be a silly question, but since I am new to chicken keeping I thought this would be the right place to ask. I have two BA pullets who are 15.5 weeks old and a cuckoo marans and EE that are the same age as well. Ive noticed that my two BAs are getting SUPER iridescent coloring serious greens going on and sometimes you can even see purple! my marans even has a few iridescent green feathers scattered around, one is right on her butt and cracks me up. So my question is this, is the level of iridescence based on diet? parentage? something else? They free range all day long in our yard which is a split between grass and ivy/dirt/trees and whatever else is back there. We are in the pacific northwest and we havent and will continue to never use any pesticides- well the chickens are the pesticides now ;)

My week and a half old Australorp baby has adopted my tiny day old sebright chicks as her babies. They sleep under her wings like she is a mama chicken.
that is adorable!

Hi Everyone, this could be a silly question, but since I am new to chicken keeping I thought this would be the right place to ask. I have two BA pullets who are 15.5 weeks old and a cuckoo marans and EE that are the same age as well. Ive noticed that my two BAs are getting SUPER iridescent coloring serious greens going on and sometimes you can even see purple! my marans even has a few iridescent green feathers scattered around, one is right on her butt and cracks me up. So my question is this, is the level of iridescence based on diet? parentage? something else? They free range all day long in our yard which is a split between grass and ivy/dirt/trees and whatever else is back there. We are in the pacific northwest and we havent and will continue to never use any pesticides- well the chickens are the pesticides now ;)

The green sheen and sometimes purple comes from their oil on the black feathers. Purple is not good but green is. It indicates that there is too much oil production.

It is mostly genetic.

Post Pictures!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Now I'm wondering if I'm imagining the purple feathers (second guessing myself). The lighting sucks in these pics and they are from last week but I'll try to get updated ones tomorrow. I'd love to know what you all think

Just wanted to share a pic or two of my 24 week old BA's. They are all laying and they are so fun and beautiful. And man, oh man, do they talk a lot!

10150707_10202454383536755_6828353058501133578_n.jpg

10406682_10202454383936765_1289585126850697542_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom