Australorps breed Thread

lol well I guess it's possible he's a bantam but I think he would have been noticeably smaller when I got him.The little Mrs are only nuggets now so I'll let them live a happy life....although it may be short. I weighed them all day one and their wasn't much differences untill they were about a month old.Thats when Scrawny Ronny got his name.I just would rather not breed in slow maturity on a breed that's already a bit slow to mature. I thought the males were supposed to reach butcher size before females or am I wrong?
Can you post pictures of ronnie & his Bro ? and your young ladies ? forgive me if you already did ..so we can see them

Pita Pinta!

Bresse fit the bill but the cockerels can be mean.

You can eat the Australorps just fine. They will not have as much meat but they will be very tasty.

NEVER heard or either breed!
one web site says Pita Pinta only lay 3-4eggs a week?Are they bigger than australorps?

sorry Gramma I drowned my good phone and this new one can't even cut and paste a web address let alone upload a photo :(

Last edited:
They lay a lot better than that. They are my best layers now and they are big!
ooooooo pretty!I see you live in California so I assume they can take the heat...what about cold?I'm concerned about huge birds that need large food intak.I want them mainly for eggs with the option for meat on extra birds.I assume feeding a big meaty bird until it stops laying would be counter productive?I've only raised a few breeds and had chickens 3years.open to advice

ooooooo pretty!I see you live in California so I assume they can take the heat...what about cold?I'm concerned about huge birds that need large food intak.I want them mainly for eggs with the option for meat on extra birds.I assume feeding a big meaty bird until it stops laying would be counter productive?I've only raised a few breeds and had chickens 3years.open to advice

They are winter layers and they do not eat too much. The Hens are not that large--They do not eat as much as bresse or marans but more than leghorn based breeds.

I do not know how they will do in the cold, but there are a lot of them in Germany.

Well, I had my flock NPIP tested today. 1 step closer to getting where I want to be with them. I will be switching to showbird feed tomorrow, as all have now reached 20 weeks. Maybe I should have started it sooner, but I have been treating them with Calf-Manna, so I'm not overly concerned.

Well, I had my flock NPIP tested today. 1 step closer to getting where I want to be with them. I will be switching to showbird feed tomorrow, as all have now reached 20 weeks. Maybe I should have started it sooner, but I have been treating them with Calf-Manna, so I'm not overly concerned.
thumbsup.gif

Great! I was hoping I was right in my guess that our Esther is a BA. :). Thanks for confirming. I got her in a rare breed assortment and order of blue andalusians so at first thought she mite be a black version of the Andalusian. But I have read so many nice things abt the Australorps that I was hoping that is what she would turn out to be. :)

Back
Top Bottom