Australorps breed Thread

Here are pictures of Cora or Cory and Gertrude or Dude. I am picturing them because I thought Gertrude was the dude and Cora was my hen. Now I'm not so sure. I also think they are fine Black Australorps

Gertrude And Cora appear to have white on them. In "person" there is no white. They do have the sheen, reflective colors causing it on film. They are 18 weeks old and are still filling out their feathers. Gertrude is happy on my lap. Cora is friendly. Although eating out of my hand is a favorite pasttime for Cora,Cora is the more skiddish of the two. Any feedback concerning these birds is appreciated.

I had a post ready for you and then lost it.

Both look like pullets, and at 18 weeks you should have eggs in two to four weeks.

Cockerels should be crowing by 18 weeks. Are they showing egg laying signs yet? They get "friendlier" and if there is not rooster, they will start squatting to the ground and spreading their wings out. They will also start checking out the nest boxes. Mine started laying a week or two after the egg squatting started.

Ron
Here are pictures of Cora or Cory and Gertrude or Dude. I am picturing them because I thought Gertrude was the dude and Cora was my hen. Now I'm not so sure. I also think they are fine Black Australorps

Here are some updated pics of my 2 Lorps! Moose and Bertha : )

Here is a good picture of Gertrude.

Here is Cora. Feedback on them would be appreciated.

They love the click of the tablet or they just like having their picture taken.

Gertrude And Cora appear to have white on them. In "person" there is no white. They do have the sheen, reflective colors causing it on film. They are 18 weeks old and are still filling out their feathers. Gertrude is happy on my lap. Cora is friendly. Although eating out of my hand is a favorite pasttime for Cora,Cora is the more skiddish of the two. Any feedback concerning these birds is appreciated.

I thought they were both pullets until Cora started the cock a doodle do. It started last week. She has increased this behavior until now, a week later it happened ten times this morning. I use the term morning loosely as the cock a doodle do time is after 11am. The flock has been on schedule since the beginning. They go out about that time as I try to have them concentrating on egg laying.
Now I am trying to keep the timing right so I'm out there before the call. I would not want Cora to think her call produced me to let them out. Chicken psychology. I read here on the site a pullet will crow. The two of them just appear to be different. The confusion has peaked my curiousity.

I thought they were both pullets until Cora started the cock a doodle do. It started last week. She has increased this behavior until now, a week later it happened ten times this morning. I use the term morning loosely as the cock a doodle do time is after 11am. The flock has been on schedule since the beginning. They go out about that time as I try to have them concentrating on egg laying.
Now I am trying to keep the timing right so I'm out there before the call. I would not want Cora to think her call produced me to let them out. Chicken psychology. I read here on the site a pullet will crow. The two of them just appear to be different. The confusion has peaked my curiousity.
Oh, yes the crowing is a Cockerel.

Pullets crowing, I think, happens if one of the ovaries is missing. From what I read about it, it is very rare.

I did wonder about the tail feathers.
roll.png

Nice looking BAs. Where did you get them?

Ron

Ok, you never know, maybe you do have one that is a crowing Pullet.

pop.gif
I am interested in this. Please keep up updated on how Cora develops and if she starts laying eggs.

Does cora do the Egg Squat? That would be very weird to both crow and egg squat.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom