Australorps. Want GOOD ones.....

HotDesertChick

Songster
7 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Southern New Mexico
I/we have a flock of Belgian d'Anver bantams that are wonderful tiny chickens, but I would like to add a few Australorp hens to produce large brown eggs, to supplement the tiny bantam eggs. My coop/run/nest boxes is/are large enough to support both large & small hens. My chickens are spoiled rotten. My hubby thinks so!

Reading about black Australorps, it sounds like they are late to mature? I confess, that my reason for adding large hens is to provide larger eggs, brown eggs, AND, I also find Australorps very attractive.

Where, can I find good stock? Close, to Standard of Perfection, and yet good/hardy layers as well? It would be fun, to get some Blue Austr., but does egg production/hardiness "go away", with "Blues"?

Am skeptical of large commercial hatcheries, as for quality. My bantams did NOT come from a "Big Box Store". I/we also have "limited-chicken Real Estate", ...so "quality counts".

Ideas?

Thanks.

I see you are located in New Mexico. One of our moderators, TwoCrows, also lives in New Mexico and breeds Australorps. I've seen pics of her flock and she has some beautiful birds. I would suggest contacting her and ask if she can help you locate some Australorps in your area. You can send her a PM at https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/83358/twocrows. Good luck in getting your Aussies. :eek:)

Thanks, Michael....for your information, and link on/for TwoCrows. I have pm'd her. She is likely several hundred miles away, but we shall see.

Again....appreciate your input. Please stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom