Austrolorp Chicken

Black Australorps are fantastic birds!!! Ours are big pets. They are easy to work with and are very good layers.They are on top of the pecking order but are not at all mean and are good looking birds to boot. Another plus is they handlecolder weather well.

Larry

In may mixed up flock I had two Australorps. Both were extremely quiet and calm, almost dignified. The roo was lost to a hawk, and my kids cried. "Pinky" was a stately fellow who looked out for his sister and her partridge Marans buddy. We still have Shadow, the hen. She is very reserved. Though she is bottom hen in our bunch, she is a real meticulous, proud girl. She'll pause and excuse herself from a treat frenzy to make sure no food collects on her feathers. She lays a huge, pale pinkish egg.

Our backwards flock - the top hen looks horrible with rooster tracks, bad leg and poor conformation, and our Australorp on the bottom strides the yard looking like a beauty queen.

My favorite hen is an Australorp. She runs to me when the hens are out in the yard. She follows me everywhere, waiting for me to turn over boards, rocks or logs. She gobbles up the sow bugs, worms, spiders, etc. She's been friendly since she was a tiny chick. I'd always want a few Australorps in my flock.

Intersting as i have heard several people say that Australorps hen generally remain at the top of the pecking order - there is an Australorp thread on here

My production reds outlay my Australorps by a little bit. However, I like the Australorps better in every other way -- they are friendlier, nicer and prettier. I will always have some Australorps. I don't have any complaints with them at all.

Back
Top Bottom