Automatic Chicken Coop door for only $5 bucks with a radio antenna from a junkyard

I guess inflation has kicked in. I went to the junk yard to get antenna motors, and they want $18. But they came out of a Mercedes, so they must be better. Anyway, I've got to get this wonderful project underway.

Chris

I guess inflation has kicked in. I went to the junk yard to get antenna motors, and they want $18. But they came out of a Mercedes, so they must be better. Anyway, I've got to get this wonderful project underway.

Chris
Thanks Chris!

Yes the Mercedes are better. LOL!

Actually our junk yard is use to selling "bigger" items (I think), so when I went back in after pulling 2 antennas out of Buicks (I believe), I just said to the guy "Would you take $10 bucks for these? I hope I get lucky and one of them work" (hopefully causing doubt in his mind)... He said "Sure!"

Anytime I go to a junkyard I "suggest" a price before they can say anything. Works almost every time.

Please post pics and/or video after you make yours in this thread!!!!!!!!!!

Couple suggestions........
1. Make sure all your connections to the wires are secure (I had this problem once and was a PIA to find/fix)
2. If you can allow the antenna to extend all the way when closing the door, I think that's better for the motor in the antenna in the long run. I ended up cutting about 6" off the end of my antenna so that mine "thinks" it's fully extended. Make sure NOT to cut lower than the top most section of the antenna - there's a wire hooked to the top section to push/pull it. Cut too low and you will have nothing.
3. Make sure that you door slides freely in the tracks. If it's too tight the antenna won't extend all the way and the door won't close fully (yes I found this out the hard way)

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Could this be run off of batteries? We don't have power in the coop and an extension cord is not possible.

Yes you could probably run it off a 12 volt lawn mower tractor battery, but I don't know how you could keep a charge.

I have a 150' extension cord running to my coop. :)

Winter is coming, and now is the time to make your life easier with an automatic coop door!!!

I know I don't want to have to go outside each morning all the way to the coop to open the door before I go to work. With this automatic door all I'll need to do is get the eggs once per day, and check the food & water once per week!

This was so easy to make. If you need help send me a PM!!!

Oh my gosh. I had seen a do-it-yourself set up that used a curtain timer. Dumb thing was going to cost over $100 for the motor. So I resigned myself to not having a remote pop door.
This is fantastic. Can't wait to show it to my hubby!! Particularly nice to let them get a little extra day light during the dark winter months by getting out earlier.
Thanks for sharing a fantastic idea!

Back
Top Bottom