Automatic Chicken Coop Door

Thank you guys so much for the responses to our survey (and I apologize for the late response with mine). Your views were taken into account when we designed our prototype and after several weeks of hard work and designing, we finally have our functioning automatic chicken coop door! It works by receiving light readings through a light dependent resistor (a photocell like sensor) which sends those readings to the micro controller which tells the motor to either open or close the door. It may seem simple, but a lot of computer programming and electrical wiring went into making this door. Here's a picture of our final prototype:

The door has an opening of 16"x 16" so even larger chickens (possibly even turkeys) can fit through it. Those are also the dimensions our original client who proposed the project suggested, so we stuck with those. The control box and motor, which can't be seen, simply need to be water proofed and it could theoretically be used in a chicken coop.

Again, thank you guys so much for all the help you've given us for this project! :D
What no video?!??!?!

Pic of other side? Cost?

I wish I had the brain of an engineer and could make one of these auto doors! I would be interested in seeing a video etc

I just made and installed an automatic door. cost about $100. used a motorized car antenna and pine boards for frame. i do hvac service so the wiring was very easy. I saw many types online but mine is designed for long life and simple controls. i will try to post a video later. the build is even easy for non electrically inclined.

I used a car antenna, one 12v power supply, a 120v relay and a timer. Total cost about $45

Here's a video

I wish I had the brain of an engineer and could make one of these auto doors! I would be interested in seeing a video etc

I'm the farthest thing from an engineer in the world............ I made one for $5 from a automatic car antenna from a junk yard. All the details on how you can make one too are in my thread..........

My automatic coop door for only $5 bucks:
http://goo.gl/C1rmZd

Detailed plans and Youtube video too!!!!

Last edited:
I had to run back to the shop to take more pictures and a video, but here's what we have:
0.jpg

There is a light sensor on top of the control box that takes in readings from the sun; when it is light out, the door opens and stay open until it becomes dark again.
(Here's the light sensor)

The control box houses all the electrical components along with the micro controller that runs the program telling the door to either open or close.
(A look inside the control box)

From the back, we can see the motor (we used a car window motor) that powers the door and the two limit switches which tells the door to stop moving once it is fully opened or fully closed depending on the position the door is in.
(The limit switches are the small black boxes on the side of the door, they are hit by an aluminum arm that is mounted on the door)

The materials used for the door costs a little less than 150$ (the micro controller and wires were the most expensive, 30$ and 34$ respectively). Of course the door is not perfect and there are many further improvements that could be made on it, but we are fairly happy with the results we were able to achieve.

I had to run back to the shop to take more pictures and a video, but here's what we have: There is a light sensor on top of the control box that takes in readings from the sun; when it is light out, the door opens and stay open until it becomes dark again. (Here's the light sensor) The control box houses all the electrical components along with the micro controller that runs the program telling the door to either open or close. (A look inside the control box) From the back, we can see the motor (we used a car window motor) that powers the door and the two limit switches which tells the door to stop moving once it is fully opened or fully closed depending on the position the door is in. (The limit switches are the small black boxes on the side of the door, they are hit by an aluminum arm that is mounted on the door) The materials used for the door costs a little less than 150$ (the micro controller and wires were the most expensive, 30$ and 34$ respectively). Of course the door is not perfect and there are many further improvements that could be made on it, but we are fairly happy with the results we were able to achieve.
good ideas. The car antenna I used has a clutch release so it stops on a bind or holdup so it was easy for stop and start points. I used 20 gauge steel for the door. Light sensors are ok but my coop is shaded and it may not open or close on time. Just a couple ideas for you to think about.

I am looking for something like this myself. I did find automatic doors online for chickens, but we have 4 Pekin ducks which are MUCH larger than our chickens, and I'm having difficulty finding one with a door large enough for them. I'd like it to be electric, but with perhaps a battery backup. I'd like it to have a timer I could set before trips, depending on the time of year rather than based on sunset, because the ducks won't go inside until it is completely dark outside.

I am looking for something like this myself. I did find automatic doors online for chickens, but we have 4 Pekin ducks which are MUCH larger than our chickens, and I'm having difficulty finding one with a door large enough for them. I'd like it to be electric, but with perhaps a battery backup. I'd like it to have a timer I could set before trips, depending on the time of year rather than based on sunset, because the ducks won't go inside until it is completely dark outside.

I bought my auto door from Titan Incubators - Automatic Chicken House Door Opener. It cost $140 US dollars. You can find it on ebay at http://m.ebay.com/itm/111181762030?nav=SEARCH.
I like it because you can use any size door you want. It is very simple to install and is ran by 4 AA batteries. It has a timer

I used a light weight thin plywood for my doors and have it hooked up to open 2 doors using a pulley system. Best 140$ I ever spent

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom