Automatic chicken door with sensor? ***warning graphic image

CrystalMosko

Chirping
Jul 1, 2022
Hayden, ID
Okay, so we are getting our shed next week and I'm on the hunt for an automatic door. I've been researching and while I know that everyone has their opinion and preference....I'm just trying to figure out the best (and SAFEST) option for me and my girls. I should probably give a tiny bit of background info. We moved into our home in the middle of June (this year). In late June, I lost my dog of 13 years to cancer. In the beginning of July we purchased a couple of dwarf goats from a friend. I lost one of those babies in the beginning of August. Since goats are social, we needed to give back the other one (I was too heart-broken to get another one). Being an animal lover....these losses are extremely difficult for me. So, that being said...while researching for a door for my girls and seeing the attached image it was SHOCKING to say the least!!! I am a first time chicken owner and I don't think I can do another loss of life. Is there an automatic door that will not do this? I'm attaching the response from the inventor of the ADOR1 as well.

Any tips for a good door that will NOT do this???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 9.02.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 9.02.12 AM.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.59.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.59.39 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
First, let me say I am so sorry about your dog and your goats. That's really heartbreaking...
:hugs

I have the Ador, and I've had tremendous luck with it. And I agree with the owner. Motor-deiven units shut tight so that predators (in my mind, raccoons) can't lift the door. The unit is NOISY and when it gets started, my flock move away from it. I also tested it by putting soft items under it while it was closing, and it reversed, but not before pinching whatever was under it, but not shutting tight like in that sad pic.

Now, I don't use it because I don't need it. You may not, either, depending on your set up. My run is large, sturdy, and as predator proof as I think a run can be. My door (the one for humans) opens into the run. I now just leave that door open 24/7. When the flock is in for the night, I just shut the door to the run. This works out very well because it allows my ducks to move around in the run throughout the night without annoying the sleeping chickens and without making a huge mess in my coop.

Honestly, the only thing that auto door did for me was let me sleep in a little in weekends. I'd always shut them in the run if I was going to be out late. Looking back, I'm not even sure it was worth it to buy it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom