Automatic coop door battery operated.... recommendations

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I already have one coop and we have a DIY auto door that runs off a tractor battery and that has a trickle charger on it all the time so needs power.....

We are building a 2nd coop and I need an auto door that will run off of batteries since I am not planning on having power to that one right now, may in the future but my runs connect so the water with de-icer will be where the power is.....

I was hoping to keep the cost around $150 for the door. the only one in that price range is Happy Henhouse. Does anyone use it? I want to mount it inside and use the timer. then for about $40 more there is the Run-chicken door. Is there really that much difference between the 2?

My biggest worry on eithe rof these doors is the size. I have 2 large Cochin Roo's and then brahma and Cochin hens (as well as others but those are the biggest ones). will they fit in the door? My current door since it is a DIY is quite large so the 8x10 door size sounds TINY to me. Does anyone have bigger chickens and use either of these doors?

I am in MA so we do get snow and freezing weather.

Thanks for any help.

I have the ADOR1. 6v battery operated. Battery lasts about 1 year. You can mount it inside the coop or outside. Mine is inside with the a remote light detector and remote open/close switch. Made in US with great product support if needed.

I have the ADOR1. 6v battery operated. Battery lasts about 1 year. You can mount it inside the coop or outside. Mine is inside with the a remote light detector and remote open/close switch. Made in US with great product support if needed.
I was looking at those but that is quite a bit more than I can spend with the cost of building another coop and expanding my run.

I already have one coop and we have a DIY auto door that runs off a tractor battery and that has a trickle charger on it all the time so needs power.....

We are building a 2nd coop and I need an auto door that will run off of batteries since I am not planning on having power to that one right now, may in the future but my runs connect so the water with de-icer will be where the power is.....

I was hoping to keep the cost around $150 for the door. the only one in that price range is Happy Henhouse. Does anyone use it? I want to mount it inside and use the timer. then for about $40 more there is the Run-chicken door. Is there really that much difference between the 2?

My biggest worry on eithe rof these doors is the size. I have 2 large Cochin Roo's and then brahma and Cochin hens (as well as others but those are the biggest ones). will they fit in the door? My current door since it is a DIY is quite large so the 8x10 door size sounds TINY to me. Does anyone have bigger chickens and use either of these doors?

Thanks for any help.
I'm wondering why don't you just DIY the second door.

Both these doors are ones that I like and would recommend but I make my own soo...

Yes there is lots of deference.
The happy henhouse door is much stronger and if need be replacing the controller or the actuator is much easier.

The RunChicken door is weaker but still strong. I like how compact it is and easy programming. However if you are going to replace a part you may have a hard time doing that. Also watch out for the cheap knock-offs.

Linear Actuator w Brackets $35.99

2 Timers tax included $27.90
or
2 Astronomical Timers shipping and tax included $35.54

Add a relay to use as a safety feature. $6.99

For only $70.88 on the low side and materials you probably already have on had, I think it's a better option to DIY. Using two timers will last several months using an 8amp hr battery, on a single charge.

Forgot to mention, that if you look for broken recliners, on craigslist or facebook, you can get the actuator out of them. For free if you get lucky. Even the home "hospital" beds have them. Just make sure to read the labels to see if they are 12VDC.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why don't you just DIY the second door.

Both these doors are ones that I like and would recommend but I make my own soo...

Yes there is lots of deference.
The happy henhouse door is much stronger and if need be replacing the controller or the actuator is much easier.

The RunChicken door is weaker but still strong. I like how compact it is and easy programming. However if you are going to replace a part you may have a hard time doing that. Also watch out for the cheap knock-offs.

Linear Actuator w Brackets $35.99

2 Timers tax included $27.90
or
2 Astronomical Timers shipping and tax included $35.54

Add a relay to use as a safety feature. $6.99

For only $70.88 on the low side and materials you probably already have on had, I think it's a better option to DIY. Using two timers will last several months using an 8amp hr battery, on a single charge.

Forgot to mention, that if you look for broken recliners, on craigslist or facebook, you can get the actuator out of them. For free if you get lucky. Even the home "hospital" beds have them. Just make sure to read the labels to see if they are 12VDC.
We made the other one but with how it was done it runs on a tractor battery that would last a week before it needed a charge. So we have a trickle charger hooked up to it all the time. The new coop won't have power so can't do that. Which is why I figured I would buy one this time.

Thanks for any help.
Chicken guard bought it on Amazon. 3 different models depends on wether you want light sensor or just timer etc. easy to use. I had others and this was easy to install (well easy for my wife to install). No problems with it. Great customer service. Direct communication with actual people. Email and phone with help, warranty and replacement parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.png
    IMG_0110.png
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 29
We made the other one but with how it was done it runs on a tractor battery that would last a week before it needed a charge. So we have a trickle charger hooked up to it all the time. The new coop won't have power so can't do that. Which is why I figured I would buy one this time.
This way of doing it with two timer (Video is basically two timers in one) will make it so you only have to charge the battery once every 9 months. If you put a solar trickle charger (On sale right now on an Amazon lightening deal $20.71) you don't have charge it at all. Had this running for 9 months, three actuators on a single charge 8 amp hr battery.

Chicken guard bought it on Amazon. 3 different models depends on wether you want light sensor or just timer etc. easy to use. I had others and this was easy to install (well easy for my wife to install). No problems with it. Great customer service. Direct communication with actual people. Email and phone with help, warranty and replacement parts.
I am in MA too. Funny

I’ve had a RunChicken for 2yrs, still working as expected. Opens around 730-8am from a custom start setting and closes at dusk by itself with the sensor. Could probably still be working off the stock AA batteries but I pulled them out for a 3-month period when I was keeping them on lockdown until 2nd run security was in order. I just replaced them with some new Amazon AAs, which as of this morning are still good over a year later. I should probably just replace them since I’ve got them. For under $200 I’m happy and would recommend it to others

Back
Top Bottom