automatic coop door

Thanks, I was wrestling with that. Especially thanks for the info on cloudy days. We get some dark ones in KS, and sometimes just before a storm, it does get dark.

Quote:
The "other brand" is whatever MyPetChicken is selling.
idunno.gif
. I just needed one fast....

With the Foy's Electronic Doorkeeper, I bought the Inside mounted unit, it has the light sensor included, and then the door the size I wanted. It comes with the tracks. That's all I needed. The idler pulley thing is for odd installations or replacement parts. If you have the inside mounted unit, you do not need a timer because the included light sensor controls the door operation.

The light sensor works very, very well. Bright moonlight does not activate it, and yet it still opens on cloudy days.

Edit: Never mind, I went back and read your original post. dirt in timer, right. I suppose that might be a real problem in a dusty coop.

What is it you don't like about the other one? I was looking at it at Fleming Outdoors, and thought it looked pretty good. I'm really jumpy about using a light sensor.

Quote:
The "other brand" is whatever MyPetChicken is selling.
idunno.gif
. I just needed one fast....

With the Foy's Electronic Doorkeeper, I bought the Inside mounted unit, it has the light sensor included, and then the door the size I wanted. It comes with the tracks. That's all I needed. The idler pulley thing is for odd installations or replacement parts. If you have the inside mounted unit, you do not need a timer because the included light sensor controls the door operation.

The light sensor works very, very well. Bright moonlight does not activate it, and yet it still opens on cloudy days.

Last edited:
I am a sucker for things that work well and work well without using electrical power. Two of the Electronic Doorkeepers have been working very well on coops at my former residence (still there, unoccupied, I gotta get them moved eventually). Not having to adjust a timer for the change of seasons is pretty nifty.

I have had to replace a timer in the "other" auto door I bought for expeditious installation. Thought, good, there's power there, this will be okay.... But now I have to adjust the timer's settings AGAIN, and I am sure I will have to do that pretty often. <*grumble*>

The unit is well built and easy to install. Other than the timer issue, it's a good door. The geese have to shove themselves through it, and the Jersey Giant Roos are a tight squeeze, too. I liked the different door sizes of the Foy's unit.

Because I leave before dawn and will soon get home after dark during the work week, I really don't trust the new door to keep the coop secure during prime predator scouting periods. I've come home quite late and still found the door open. The flock is inside, all settled in, but the hole in the wall just might lure in Something Bad.

The Foy's door, with it's light sensor, has operated flawlessly on the same set of batteries for over a year. The second Foy's unit is just as reliable. To bad neither are installed in my current coop.... Ah well.

I can only comment on automatic door openers....we have two and they are a "god send".
We have one we use on the Coop with a glass door. We have one with a metal door we use on the inside in Winter for keeping Chickens in the Barn and door is on the door to the outside run.

They both work great and we would NOT have chickens without them. Regards, Aria

I just saw this link posted on FB by https://www.facebook.com/Egg.Carton.Labels.by.ADozenGirlz.
It's a DIY scheme to make a solar pop door from a winsheild wiper motor and a photoelectric cell for a timer.

http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/09/auto-solar-chicken-coop-door-lets-you-sleep-in/

I used the plan from http://www.add-a-motor.com/Model D20 Motor for Chicken Coop Doors.htm

I bought this solar panel from Cabela's "American-Hunter-12-Volt-Solar-Panel IK-225939", this timer "American Hunter 6- and 12-Volt Feeder Timer IK-226720 " and this battery "12-Volt Prong-Top Rechargeable Battery IK-229679"

I made the pop door to match my main coop door and would say that it's too heavy. The plans on the add-a-motor site say the door has to be less than 5lbs. My door works well but the motor is under a little strain. Timer works great and opens the door much earlier than a photo cell would, plus I have the option of setting mulitple open close times if needed.

I dug up this thread because I'm considering purchasing the Fleming outdoors model. I do have one concern with this one as well as with many of the "string operated" coop doors. What if anything prevents a predator from lifting the door? The automatic door will be inside a secured run.But, I still worry about a crafty raccoon getting in and trying the door,

I dug up this thread because I'm considering purchasing the Fleming outdoors model. I do have one concern with this one as well as with many of the "string operated" coop doors. What if anything prevents a predator from lifting the door? The automatic door will be inside a secured run.But, I still worry about a crafty raccoon getting in and trying the door,

My door is mounted inside and goes 3-4 inches below the outer wall. I suppose a coon could still push on it and get it up. Have had the same door set up without the opener for 10 years & never had a problem. My door is plexiglass with a 2 by 4 on the top. I guess it depends if you need 100% security. That never occurred to me.

We've had a Pullet-Shut automatic door for about 2 years and it's great. It works off of a trickled charged battery, is metal and shuts tightly. Best thing we ever got. The website is chickendoors.com.

I have been shopping and am down to the Pullet Shut and the Ador1.
power outage is not an issue and money is not a factor. I do want a light trigger,

Hi there Bcarver.

Looking at the same two doors as you were back in November. Wondering which of the two you settled on, if you are happy with the choice you made, and if you wouldn't mind sharing any info to help me with my selection? Appreciate it and hope all is well at you coop!

Many thanks,

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom