Automatic feeder attached to the coop

Thanks for your help! I will find myself wanting a few more chickens every year, so I really need to build a big coop. I was thinking of a coop I can walk into and a linoleum floor topped with pine shavings, so I could actually sweep the poop/pine shavings mix onto a compost pile after a few days. It seems easier than hosing it down. I used the deep litter method this winter and it worked. During the summer, I'll have to clean more frequently because of the smell. Good point about the automatic feeder lid and nest boxes. And the neighbors, too! I know they don't like chickens, so I keep mine free ranging inside a fenced acre and don't have a rooster because of the noise.
Please, post pictures of your new feeder.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your help! I will find myself wanting a few more chickens every year, so I really need to build a big coop. I was thinking of a coop I can walk into and a linoleum floor topped with pine shavings, so I could actually sweep the poop/pine shavings mix onto a compost pile after a few days. It seems easier than hosing it down. I used the deep litter method this winter and it worked. During the summer, I'll have to clean more frequently because of the smell. Good point about the automatic feeder lid and nest boxes. And the neighbors, too! I know they don't like chickens, so I keep mine free ranging inside a fenced acre and don't have a rooster because of the noise.
Please, post pictures of your new feeder.

thumbsup.gif

It would be best to ask members on this site. My folk have walk in coop and I never like it because my shoes got dirty every time.
If you consider add rooster to hatch your own chick, I suggest getting an English Orpington. It seems much quieter than other breed. I had Wyandotte rooster, he is quiet but not his brothers so hit and miss.

Now, that's something I never thought about: stepping into the dirt. That's something to think about. But I have to say I would rather clean my boots than having to do the back breaking job of cleaning my small coop. I like Orpingtons. Mine have proven to be quite nice. I would love to have an Orpington rooster. They are beautiful, but I can't have them because I don't want to bother my neighbors. One little crow would be enough to have people knocking at my door, I'm sure.

Hi can you please show me how you made this feeder can you post the plans so I can use them to build one for myself because I have 16 hens and I hate how they spill the feed in the ground and then house sparrows come and eat food of the open hanging feeders that I use so please can you please please post the plans or email them to me at [email protected] please help me out!!!!

Hi can you please show me how you made this feeder can you post the plans so I can use them to build one for myself because I have 16 hens and I hate how they spill the feed in the ground and then house sparrows come and eat food of the open hanging feeders that I use so please can you please please post the plans or email them to me at [email protected] please help me out!!!!

You can find treadle feeder plans here. Good luck!

If you are going to build a treader feeder, go back and read my early post Pro & Con about this feeder. I also recommend all stainless steel hardware. I want to build new one with improvement, but no more material available. It takes about same foot print and can hold up to 65lbs.

Here is a template that allow to use 2x2, 2x4, or 4x2 roost. I am also working on my self sufficient setup to reduce feed cost. Will add my new automatic box feeder in the future.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom