Autosexing with the barring gene

ChickFarmer

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 22, 2010
The sex linked barring gene, (B) when added to parellel pencilling (Ab), or a striped chick down, or the down color of mottled breeds, (mo) results in autosexing. I would love pictures of autosexing adults and chicks, male and female, with those gene mixes. I'm devising a plan for making the Eastbarr. (Insert evil laugh here.) The Eastbarr would be an autosexing EasterEgger. (I am aware of the Cream Legbar.) Here is a partial list of genes I would include.

> Mb= beard-muff (incomplete dominant may have to double up on this one)
> O= blue eggshell
> P= pea comb
> E/E= two doses of black extender (black feathers)
> S= silver (supresses red)
> B= barring (sex linked males have B/B, females have B)
> K= Slow feathering (gives more defined barring may or may not be included)

Here is a site I found helpful. http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html Poultry Genetics for the Nonprofessional

Thank you all

Just so that you know Barred Rocks that you get from hatcheries are quite fast feathering. In Barred Rocks the slower the feathering the better the barring...

Chris

I'll look to breeders for my parent stock so long as I can find one who has maintained laying ability.

I'm not sure if this helps at all. This is our Wheaten Ameraucana (male) x Barred Rock (female). According to all the research I have done it should be a rooster. The last 2 pics are 2 days old, the top 1week and middle 2 today 4.5 weeks. (It changed th order when I posted)

Attachments

• IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1587.PNG
    IMG_1587.PNG