Available for pick up but not ship?

rachellou76

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2015
I have a question. I'm looking to order some chicks and I want a variety. I guess I'm ordering late in the year because many of what I want is already sold out until late summer.

So I was picking chicks on certain websites (Meyer, Mcmurray, etc), trying to get them all on the same hatch date. For example, Meyer says Buff Orps are available with a hatch date of March 9 as well as Barred Rock, and a few other chicks. If I put them in the cart and go to checkout, it says the soonest they can ship them is May 26th. Why so late? If I go to pick them up at Meyer, I can get them Monday or Tuesday. For the same chicks!

Anyone explain this to me? I just don't get it.

Maybe they only ship on certain days? Or they keep so many on hand for pick ups and then deliver? That is strange. I would call their customer service and see if they can explain it.

Its very possible that the chicks available for pick up were extras that hatched and they've passed the age to allow them to be shipped. As for the website saying chicks are available to be shipped on a certain date, its not always the case. They may have to replace chicks from previous orders, or other people might have already reserved them ahead of you and they just haven't updated their website to reflect that. I'd imagine its rather difficult to have gobs of people place orders in advance and then fill those orders for certain dates (like counting your chickens before they hatch, ya know?).
I just placed an order through Ideal, and all of the breeds I picked were listed as available. However, when I checked out, I got a ship date of 5/20. On my last order, I got a ship date that was more than a month out when I placed the order (even though everything was listed as available). But, they called me less than a week later asking if they could move my ship date up and I ended up getting them that week!

So many people are getting dead chicks in the mail, my guess is these hatcheries are wising up and not shipping for now, only allowing pick up.

Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dead chicks due to the cold is just not okay. :( I really hope that's the reason and that they've suspended mail for now, because it's just gross.

Explained well above. Hatcheries also make contracts with feed stores, rural chain stores too and those orders must be filled as well. Weather can also effect the laying rates, both up and down, causing shortfalls and surpluses and chicks have ZERO shelf life, if you will.

If you are close enough to go pick up chicks, whether from a breeder or a hatchery, do so. Shipping is filled with risks, of course.
Hope you get the chicks you wish.

Thanks! I'm an hour and a half away. I can't do the pick up date of this Monday, but I think I'm going to try for April 6. My son wants a Buff Orp rooster for his 4H project. I'm also getting a couple more roosters and female chicks of various breeds.

Thanks! I'm an hour and a half away. I can't do the pick up date of this Monday, but I think I'm going to try for April 6. My son wants a Buff Orp rooster for his 4H project. I'm also getting a couple more roosters and female chicks of various breeds.

you'd be much better off to go get them if you're that close. Sad that you're an hour and a half away, but if you order them shipped it will take probably 3 days to get them. Just take a couple of those hand warmer pouches and set the box on top of them to keep em warm on the trip home. the most important thing of course is to post pics of them when you get them home!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom