Average Life Span of a Chicken/Rooster?

I'm still a bit stunned to learn about chicken/rooster longevity. Figure I am 69 years old and my chickens may darn well out live me! Hadn't figured on that.
I have two dogs (Dachshunds) and they are 9 and 10 so I may make the rest of their life span. The chickens are less than 2 yrs old, the rooster is about the same.
My aging in people and animals gets more complicated than you might think at first blush!

I bet I have kept over 100 "pet" chickens spanning over 20 years and the oldest one I had was a hen that lived until 8. Other than an eggbound hens my chickens are pretty healthy can survive for a long time. But it only takes 1 moment for a predator to ruin it all. Also need to watch for other chickens in your flock, I have lost a few older hens and roosters to not getting rid of the young roosters before they reach maturity.

Last edited:
I have 2 of my original hens that will be 5 in a few weeks. I haven't seen them lay an egg in over a year:( One is a RIR and the other a BO. Neither ever go broody since I've had them either:( slackers!!!

i did some resaerach and it proves that chinckens live up to 15 years if they are healthy

How large was your sample? Can you describe your research methodology? Oh & how did you establish a control group. Please answer, I'm dying to hear more about your "research".

Last edited:
Oh dear... I go to college in a year and a half, and i will have a total of 20 some birds this year. Hmmm. I'm the only one in the house who cares or wanted chickens.. Well. My little brothers are going to have to lean the art of chickens :) I thought they lived 3,4,5 years max.... :rolleyes::p

The oldest I have heard of was 15 years.

OK, slightly off topic, but reminded me: My wife had a goldfish that lived for 25 years.

Are you sure it was the same goldfish? I've heard rumors of goldfish being replaced to avoid the heartbreak of losing a pet. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom