average prices everyone charges for their eggs and egg color?

redhawkou812

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Joelton, TN
Hi all,
Well, this week, the girls got busy and we got our first egg Monday - a total of 15 in 5 days from the 8 girls!
wee.gif
I have some co-workers who have mentioned that they would like to buy some from us if we have more than we need, and I have absolutely no idea how much to ask for them. What's the average going rate for "home-grown" eggs in your area? Also, we have 4 leghorns and 4 red sex linked. One of the sex linked is laying brown speckled eggs! Is this normal?

Around here I see farm fresh eggs for as much as $3.00 a doz. That is what we plan to charge except for family.

Counting feed, the coop etc., even at $3.00 a doz. it is not going to be a profitable venture with just 22 chickens, two of which are roosters.

Unlike the eggs in stores, BYC folks eggs, IMHO, are likely to be far fresher, cleaner and healthier.

No telling how old the eggs in Walmart etc. are by the time they are eaten. My guess is weeks. During transportation, in the summer they may have been overheated and frozen in winter. Customers would never know.

So, want healthy, safe eggs? Pay a little more. And if you're selling, do not be ashamed to ask top dollar for your eggcellent product.

I was selling for 2$ a dozen last summer when feed prices were way up, but as they came down, so did the price of eggs in the grocery stores, so mine were not selling- even to my regular customers, si I dropped the price to 1.50$ and they started selling again. I did talk to a lady at a local farm market though who was selling hers for $3 a dozen! Called them organic- well mine are just as organic as hers, I'm sure!

I started out asking $3 a dozen for mine, but then the grocery stores dropped their prices to less then $2, so I wasn't getting many sales. I dropped my price to $2 and started selling more. I still have a couple of customers who insist on paying me $3, though. They say it's worth it to have fresh "real" eggs.

You really have to see what the market is like in your area and how much competition you have. I live in a rural area where lots of people have their own chickens, so much more competition for sales to those who don't. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Around here the "Free-Range" commercially produced eggs are at least $2.79/dz in the grocery stores, and "Farm-Fresh" from farms less than 100 miles away can sell for as much as $3.99 at the health food mercantile. Regular white eggs sell for as low as $.79 at big grocery stores.

I sell mine for $3 because people will gladly pay it- I could probably sell them for $4, if I had more!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom