Avian Flu/Biosecurity Best Practices

Goodness, this is alarming! Thanks for sharing all this info.

We are in FL and are preparing to bring in hatching quail eggs to get a covey going. Our plan is to have the pens outdoors on the ground with a solid roof and 1/4" hardware cloth. That should be plenty to keep the wild birds off, but we haven't built those yet, and our yard is both very prolific in terms of wild birds (a mated pair of hawks lives and hunts near/in the yard, a mockingbird pair has a nest in one of our bushes, songbirds are everywhere, and a flyway for Canada geese (which are permanent residents here, not just migratory) and wild ducks between where they sleep at night and their grazing area/pond is literally right over our backyard. Nothing can prevent them from pooping into the yard while they fly over!) So I am worried about biosecurity of the ground we plan to build on before we have the coops built.

How long do we need to wait between building the coops (making the ground inaccessible to wild birds and their droppings) and putting our quail into them? Or is that not really a concern? Any advice on how to make sure the quail chicks will be safe once we transfer them to the coops?

We are not in a county where AI has been found, but given flyway patterns, it's best to assume it will be here if it isn't already.

I appreciate any advice!!
I did some research into this because we want to expand our run space given AI. My research suggested that the virus can remain active in manure for 3+ months, which makes a movable run (e.g., chicken tractor) not a viable option. One person suggested raking and then powerwashing the footprint. Another person suggested burning. I don't have a good answer.

As for your tools I would keep them in your garage, and make sure to disinfect them before use for cleaning out the coop.

As for the scratch as long as the wild birds have no way to access the scratch than it is fine.

As to how concerned you should be. If even one bird comes down with it you must cull all poultry on your property. It has a very high mortality rate, and can spread like wildfire.

You can pick it up from the feed store or even the grocery store on your feet which could infect your flock

I would get a bucket of water mixed with disinfectant soap and wash your feet in that every time you go into the coop. Keep that bucket next too the coop. Change the water every few days. Or you can have a pair of boots in the coop, and only use that pair in your coop.

Also keeping your run covered helps too. Preferably a solid top, but a mesh top may work too. Covered runs are best for keeping you birds safe.

If you add new birds in to your flock quarantine them for a minimum of a month. I know you said you were not going to do that but it is good to know for the future, just in case.
I personally quarantine for a month, then do a blood test on both flocks to ensure no disease transmission. I test for:
- Avian influenza
- coryza ( I think I spelled that wrong)
- Salmonella

To prevent wild bird coming in your yard don’t put bird suet or seeds out for them, also adding owl or hawk dummies around help

I show my poultry, and they need a clean blood test to be able to show. So I have bio security measures already in place.

PS - I am in south eastern Pennsylvania, so I too am worried about the outbreak of Avian influenza.
Thank you for all the good advice. I live in West Virginia and have my flock in flockdown. Also following all the USDA suggested bio security measures. I am struggling with the foot bath. I have a full size door into my coop and another into my run. I need to walk between the two to do my morning and evening chicken chores. I have a foot bath beside each door, but I still need to step on the ground to get in the door. Am I just being paranoid here or do you have a workable suggestion to avoid stepping on the ground? Also, what do you use in your foot bath? We are using a diluted solution of activated Oxine. But I read today that may not be the best?

We've been talking about that and trying to figure out logistics. The way we are set-up, there is a lot of in and out of the run during chores 2x/day (e.g., dump old water, scoop soiled bedding and dump in compost pile, etc.). Presumably, the show covers should come off when leaving the run and go back on when entering the run. Then we were wondering about feces on the boots that are then transferred to the inside of the show covers. Every protocol feels like a rabbit hole!
I agree! I wish the USDA would have some training for backyard flock keepers!

Yes! It's certainly doable, and we are rethinking it all. I've spend a lot of time in biosecure labs, so I get the muscle memory thing. The chores part is not difficult to figure out, but it takes planning. I'm still stuck on the shoe cover thing. The issue is the boots themselves being the vector and introducing pathogen to the inside of the shoe covers. We need to figure that one out.
Also I have small feet and the shoe covers are falling off my boots.

Hi All,

Very interesting reading all of the posts about this. I'm in my first year of raising chickens. I have bought chicks and hatched some of my own. I currently have 3 orders placed that are coming from out of state hatcheries (McMurray and Ideal) in late April and May. Any thoughts on cancelling or keeping those orders due to the flu risk? I know Ideal is in TX and I thought I saw that state has reported flu, but not sure if it's near the hatchery location. I know they are NPIP avian flu clean, but can I count on them to not sell possibly infected chicks?

I'm in south eastern PA and my flock of 24 has been locked up all winter. I let them out for a few hours yesterday and about an hour today (before I read about the flu going around). Their coop has a proper roof and the attached run has been covered since with a tarp since the fall last year. So they are protected that way. I have designated boots for outside work, but not specifically for the coop. Now that I know, I'll be mindful about that and put a practice in place just for good measure. It all just made me think of what to do about my out of state chick orders.

Thanks!

As for your tools I would keep them in your garage, and make sure to disinfect them before use for cleaning out the coop.

As for the scratch as long as the wild birds have no way to access the scratch than it is fine.

As to how concerned you should be. If even one bird comes down with it you must cull all poultry on your property. It has a very high mortality rate, and can spread like wildfire.

You can pick it up from the feed store or even the grocery store on your feet which could infect your flock

I would get a bucket of water mixed with disinfectant soap and wash your feet in that every time you go into the coop. Keep that bucket next too the coop. Change the water every few days. Or you can have a pair of boots in the coop, and only use that pair in your coop.

Also keeping your run covered helps too. Preferably a solid top, but a mesh top may work too. Covered runs are best for keeping you birds safe.

If you add new birds in to your flock quarantine them for a minimum of a month. I know you said you were not going to do that but it is good to know for the future, just in case.
I personally quarantine for a month, then do a blood test on both flocks to ensure no disease transmission. I test for:
- Avian influenza
- coryza ( I think I spelled that wrong)
- Salmonella

To prevent wild bird coming in your yard don’t put bird suet or seeds out for them, also adding owl or hawk dummies around help

I show my poultry, and they need a clean blood test to be able to show. So I have bio security measures already in place.

PS - I am in south eastern Pennsylvania, so I too am worried about the outbreak of Avian influenza.
How do you go about testing your birds?

(Heehee… Auto correct said Avian glue!) 😸

Is there a way for an everyday backyard flock owner like me to do this testing as well, just for screening purposes and peace of mind?
Yes, if you are in the US, call your local 4H state extension all poultry clubs have at least one person who is qualified to do the testing. That is what I do. ( I have aged out, but I still know the leaders in the club) Or you could call your local livestock friendly vet, but it is more expensive that way.

Back
Top Bottom