Avian Flu Near Me

Pics

Daveed Grier

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
Hello BackYardChickens, I have a query. Recently, cases of Avian Flu popping up along the east coast. There has so far been one confirmed outbreak in my state (it was in a county a far way away from me). Should I be concerned about it appearing in my flock? The outbreak was considered non-poultry and was very small flock size (website tracking the outbreaks: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks). It was almost a month ago and there have been no other confirmed cases in my state. I have a chicken flock size of about 60 and a group of 5 ducks. The chickens and ducks are free ranged on my two acres and can often eat what falls off of my bird feeders, the wild birds may also drink from my duck pond. I'm wondering if there are any precautions I can take to protect my flock and my self, that is, if I need to. Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do? (I can isolate them inside my coop as I have a spacious enclosed run if needed).

P.S. My state is Virginia

Hello BackYardChickens, I have a query. Recently, cases of Avian Flu popping up along the east coast. There has so far been one confirmed outbreak in my state (it was in a county a far way away from me). Should I be concerned about it appearing in my flock? The outbreak was considered non-poultry and was very small flock size (website tracking the outbreaks: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks). It was almost a month ago and there have been no other confirmed cases in my state. I have a chicken flock size of about 60 and a group of 5 ducks. The chickens and ducks are free ranged on my two acres and can often eat what falls off of my bird feeders, the wild birds may also drink from my duck pond. I'm wondering if there are any precautions I can take to protect my flock and my self, that is, if I need to. Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do? (I can isolate them inside my coop as I have a spacious enclosed run if needed).

Definitely get your flock under cover right away until this blows over!! Sadly, they’re saying it will likely be 12-17 months. Many backyard keepers are scrambling right now to build shelters for their birds, including us, so that they can have a safe enclosed run area. —
I know ppl that have converted their basements, their outbuildings that once were their work offices, even one couple that made a coop up in the attic above their detached garage… it’s crazy

This stuff is NO joke! They can show no signs at all and you can just wake up one day with dead birds that just start dropping like flies. It’s been happening to fellow flock owners who I follow on Instagram — Truly heartbreaking ❤️‍🩹

Also, get rid of those wild birds feeders right away. You shouldn’t encourage wild birds at all when you have poultry, they carry in all kinds of things that get to our birds…

Avian Flu is here in Massachusetts too 😢. The state went in and put down her turkeys and ducks so sad

Where are you getting the information about the anticipated length of time this bird flu will last? We have had chickens for 17 years and have been through several epidemics of bird flu; none has ever been considered a threat for that period of time that I'm aware of. Yes, of course, it's going to be a potential threat again come fall, but the last epidemic we had, they anticipated a big surge again in fall, and as I remember there wasn't. I'm not saying it couldn't happen that we have to deal with it as a threat for that long, I'm just curious what your resource is.

Where are you getting the information about the anticipated length of time this bird flu will last? We have had chickens for 17 years and have been through several epidemics of bird flu; none has ever been considered a threat for that period of time that I'm aware of. Yes, of course, it's going to be a potential threat again come fall, but the last epidemic we had, they anticipated a big surge again in fall, and as I remember there wasn't. I'm not saying it couldn't happen that we have to deal with it as a threat for that long, I'm just curious what your resource is.
I found this a study. It gave me a good wake up call. Judging by the European and Asian experiences over the past two years we are in for a long haul. The 2006 and 2015 versions were less severe strains. This one is very deadly and persists - especially in our cooler temperatures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3784916/

I found this a study. It gave me a good wake up call. Judging by the European and Asian experiences over the past two years we are in for a long haul. The 2006 and 2015 versions were less severe strains. This one is very deadly and persists - especially in our cooler temperatures. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3784916/
Well, the key word here is "cooler temperatures"'. Generally, it subsides as the weather warms. We're all hoping for a hot summer here, I'm sure. I had read that before somewhere too, that it survives best in cool, dry temperatures. Right now we're having cool, wet temperatures here, which are expected to continue for a while, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom