Avian Flu WARNING!!!

I'm wondering about using purchased pine straw. I've been using it in my run and quite like it but I asked the other day where it comes from and they said it's raked up somewhere in eastern North Carolina. With the Flu a possibility especially in the fall maybe not a good idea? I'm thinking it might not be a good idea anyway, who knows what it's transporting.

I'm wondering about using purchased pine straw. I've been using it in my run and quite like it but I asked the other day where it comes from and they said it's raked up somewhere in eastern North Carolina. With the Flu a possibility especially in the fall maybe not a good idea? I'm thinking it might not be a good idea anyway, who knows what it's transporting.

I would stock up now, if you think it's still 'clear' and have the space. (?)

I raise Ayam Cemani, which I sale here and mail to their new owners via USPS... Do you guys know of any mailing restrictions coming out soon?

Btw: I live near Raleigh NC

I'm close to starting a big hatch and I do not want to be stuck feeding a huge flock, because I can't mail them.

Last edited:
I raise Ayam Cemani, which I sale here and mail to their new owners via USPS... Do you guys know of any mailing restrictions coming out soon?

Btw: I live near Raleigh NC

I'm close to starting a big hatch and I do not want to be stuck feeding a huge flock, because I can't mail them.

I know several states, including WV and NY, banned public trades and shows. I'm not sure about shipping live birds. It probably varies from state to state, but I can't find anything about temporary bans from USPS. Hatcheries that are clean are still in operation so I assume you can be too, especially if you're NPIP.

I heard today that chicken (or maybe all birds) selling will be banned, beginning in August. Is this a rumor? And does it include chicks as well? I live in NC, so I'm wondering if it has spread here yet.

yikes!! I have not heard that yet. Why does the ban on selling birds start in August? I thought that was already banned in some areas.
I live in TN, so far I have not heard of any cases here. I am keeping a very watchful eye though.

I would assume (and I hate that) that they would start an inclusive ban in August as they ramp up in preparation for the 'second wave' of AI that they are expecting this fall (?)

Back
Top Bottom