Avian pox

hillcountrychickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
Dripping Springs, TX
Anyone deal with this before? Seems to be the dry wart type, not the moiset strain involving her respiratory tract. Just wondering how long it will take till she is better. ....???Have my hen separated...I know others will probably come down with it too. Rats. I was just about to get some new pullets. Any info is good info!

Don't know how long before she's better, but you put iodine on the lesions and wait it out. At least it's one of those things that when it's gone, it's really gone. I've never had to deal with it, but know people on here have.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's 2 to 4 weeks before a bird is over the symptoms, The course of the virus is slow and long. as it is not spead bird to bird, Only birds bitten(wet pox is caused from eating infected mosquitoes) by infected mosquitoes develop the pox. The more mosquitoes in the area the quicker the spread.
Vaccination will stop farther outbreaks, While true that once they have fowl pox they are immune for life, They can get quail pox, same symptoms and duration..Down here in the south mosquitoes are terrible I vaccinate every year, and have been for 25 years.

I just figured out that mine have the pox 2 days ago.
I wasn't able to get on the web for a week and the whole time I'm freaking out, feeding terramycin in the water, and panicking because I had wormed them, thinking I had given them the wrong wormer or something.
When it started out I thought it was some kinda fungus or something because it was flat black spots and only on two birds. By yesterday it is the full-on pox and everybody has it or at least the onset of it. I have had healthy chickens for 3 years. This is so pitiful. I'm glad everyone says it will pass eventually.

Can anyone tell me if I need to do something besides iodine? Do they need some extra calories or vitamins?

This sux

Back
Top Bottom