Aviary Construction Questions!

Atlanta still gets cold, so at the very least, you'll have to consider something along the lines of covering the aviary in plastic for Winter. This would be an area for further research for you, and definitely take some ideas from what Project Perry built.

It's hard to say "plant this" because I don't know the layout of your plan. But I can make some recommendations...

First, definitely make a path going through the center of the aviary from end to end, and leave this as clear as possible so that you will be able to service the aviary.

For a substrate, consider a thick layer of wood-chip mulch -- installed AFTER you plant any trees or shrubs or large plants. If the aviary is lightly-stocked, all you'd have to do is periodically rake through the mulch. Also make sure that the top level of the mulch is higher than the surrounding ground, so that you won't get puddles or flooding during heavy rains. Perhaps once a year you'll want to throw a couple inches of fresh mulch down.

You can plant various leafy greens (for instance, whatever you'd find in a "spring mix" or "mesclun greens") as a sort of "ground cover" around the bases of shrubs. Generally, these will be somewhat shade-tolerant, and will provide food. If you plant these the first year, before the birds go in, you can let them go to seed and sort of "naturalize." That way you'll get more for the initial investment of seeds. Strawberries would also be good as a groundcover, and they are perennial and will definitely spread.

For shrubs, look for things which will not only provide the cover you want, but also food. There are several varieties of dwarf blueberries that could work, for example.

You'll also want things which will attract insect food -- aphids in particular are relished by finches. For attracting them (as well as providing some color), look to some smaller roses like Polyanthas, Chinas, etc. If the finches don't immediately "go hunting" for them, you can simply snip off the new shoots in late Spring which will inevitably be covered in aphids, and add them to food dishes. They'll probably learn to recognize that "yummy bugs can be found on roses" after a while.

Nasturtiums will also bring in the aphids, and the entire plant (leaves, stems, flowers) is edible. There are smaller bush-type Nasturtiums, as well as large climbers which can be allowed to grow up the aviary wire.

For shady areas, ferns are hard to beat, and I can't think of any that are toxic -- but double-check this for any fern you buy. Same goes for decorative grasses, sedges and rushes.

If you set up a pond-less waterfall fountain, you won't have to worry about water dishes for the birds. Just make sure to keep it clean.

Try to incorporate dead tree limbs, logs, stumps, etc. The ground birds will like having slightly elevated areas for looking around or performing displays. They'll also attract bugs, and provide further "hunting grounds."

I'm sure there are more ideas....

:)

Last edited:
Atlanta still gets cold, so at the very least, you'll have to consider something along the lines of covering the aviary in plastic for Winter. This would be an area for further research for you, and definitely take some ideas from what Project Perry built.

It's hard to say "plant this" because I don't know the layout of your plan. But I can make some recommendations...

First, definitely make a path going through the center of the aviary from end to end, and leave this as clear as possible so that you will be able to service the aviary.

For a substrate, consider a thick layer of wood-chip mulch -- installed AFTER you plant any trees or shrubs or large plants. If the aviary is lightly-stocked, all you'd have to do is periodically rake through the mulch. Also make sure that the top level of the mulch is higher than the surrounding ground, so that you won't get puddles or flooding during heavy rains. Perhaps once a year you'll want to throw a couple inches of fresh mulch down.

You can plant various leafy greens (for instance, whatever you'd find in a "spring mix" or "mesclun greens") as a sort of "ground cover" around the bases of shrubs. Generally, these will be somewhat shade-tolerant, and will provide food. If you plant these the first year, before the birds go in, you can let them go to seed and sort of "naturalize." That way you'll get more for the initial investment of seeds. Strawberries would also be good as a groundcover, and they are perennial and will definitely spread.

For shrubs, look for things which will not only provide the cover you want, but also food. There are several varieties of dwarf blueberries that could work, for example.

You'll also want things which will attract insect food -- aphids in particular are relished by finches. For attracting them (as well as providing some color), look to some smaller roses like Polyanthas, Chinas, etc. If the finches don't immediately "go hunting" for them, you can simply snip off the new shoots in late Spring which will inevitably be covered in aphids, and add them to food dishes. They'll probably learn to recognize that "yummy bugs can be found on roses" after a while.

Nasturtiums will also bring in the aphids, and the entire plant (leaves, stems, flowers) is edible. There are smaller bush-type Nasturtiums, as well as large climbers which can be allowed to grow up the aviary wire.

For shady areas, ferns are hard to beat, and I can't think of any that are toxic -- but double-check this for any fern you buy. Same goes for decorative grasses, sedges and rushes.

If you set up a pond-less waterfall fountain, you won't have to worry about water dishes for the birds. Just make sure to keep it clean.

Try to incorporate dead tree limbs, logs, stumps, etc. The ground birds will like having slightly elevated areas for looking around or performing displays. They'll also attract bugs, and provide further "hunting grounds."

I'm sure there are more ideas....

:)
You must be an expert at this! Thanks for all the advice! I would have never known all of that! Maybe I need to further my research because I didn't know or ever thought about a majority of the things you shared with me! I think I may have a better idea of how I can adjust my aviary design notes now.. Add more plants and decayed perches to attract bugs... Cover the aviary in plastic during the winter.. Pond-less waterfall fountain... Just to sum up a few things you suggested. Thanks again for the help! Will it be alright if I private message you if I have anymore questions?

Back
Top Bottom