Aviary Netting-Pen enclosure ideas?

A 20 by 40 pipe frame car port?  Where the heck did you find that?  

Here in Fl they are all over.... Our local flee market sells them. You can also just buy the parts to make it any size you want. It is long pipe with metal joints that make a frame. Tarp bungees over top.

That's a good idea on using the metal carport frame. I use them for greenhouses. I have some that are 10Wx20Lx10H that I got at Pep Boys on Black Friday 3 yrs ago. With the $50 rebate they were $80 each. They came with a white fitted top for them. I hadn't thought about using one for peafowl but that is what I might do. I usually bury the posts about 6 inches into the ground so they don't blow over. I have been thinking maybe setting them into concrete instead.

Waldo Flea market has them really cheap, the heavier pipe ones, and you can buy just fittings to make yours any length , or to add on. I bury wood post in the ground, then use a few U braces around each leg to attach it to the ground. Was just a quick thought but it turned out a nice space. When I'm done using it, it's easy to take down and move...

I've been thinking on this more each day about the netting over the top.If I use 12' 4"x4" posts along the outside perimeter,,bury 2' leaving me 10' above ground I could then assemble the framework for the netting,then pull this framework up at least the 8' high needed to be on top of the pen walls,still giving me 2 feet of extra height that would allow for some sagging in the middle until the inside pen posts are set.

It maybe easier to do this first because of the pulling and attaching the netting to the framework would be very difficult once the framework is hoisted 8-10' high.If the perimieter walls are up already,being 5' high on a step ladder and pulling out the slack then fastening the net along the outside of the posts would be some work in itself.I've considered setting another set of posts maybe 2' away from the outside of the pen walls used just to pull the framework up and this would give some space to pull and secure the netting while still on the ground to the framework then this task would be completely done.I'd like to do this first,,then build the pen walls and pen divisions under the netting.I've considered buying a few hand crank boat winches and attaching to the posts to crank or winch the framework up with.These winches have catches on them to hold the cable and keep it from unspooling.Then again a few come-alongs would work too.

Thanks chickenzoo. I've been to that flea market once before. I will have to look for them next time we go. I could really use another larger one. Then I could keep my other smaller ones for greenhouses. I agree they are easy to take down. I use them for a greenhouse so I can take them down in the summer when I don't need them and then I have more space in the yard lol. I use 6 mil plastic that you can buy at Home Depot in the paint aisle on a huge roll and then double it to 12 mil. I only heat with propane if it goes under freezing. Works out really well.
We have almost 4 acres but its shrinking fast with all the pets and plants LOL!!
The wood posts sunk into the ground is a good idea. Then I could keep them 10 ft tall. I was sort of wondering what I would do next year with some of my plumeria which are already 9ft tall and it will all be taller next year. Time to whack some off for new cuttings again, I guess.

Last edited:
keep one thing in mind..........you get snow and ICE , so netting and pvc bad idea.

myself i used 2 x 4 weld wire for the top.i use 10 ft pipe(3 ft in ground) with a tee on top, one each end one in the center , ran steel cable thru the tees to support the welded wire , like a tent, used J clips to hold each section together..

if using the top netting just brace real good , like every 8 feet.

After hours of internet searching-ect,,,I think I will sink 6x6 posts on all 4 corners.All along the top perimeter I will pull 3/8 cable tight.All across the bottom I will use old sheet metal to get 3' up for alleviating competing males and add some privacy.2x4-60" welded wire will be added on top of this sheet metal and I will then attach the top edge of the welded wire to the cable.

I'm now searching for netting in the correct dimensions for the top to cover all the pens.I find it interesting when I locate netting in 40' widths,,comparing a 150' length to a 100' length is only $20 more.You would think the total selling cost for a 50' length would be 1/2 the price of a 100' length net but thats far from true.They are proud of it,that's for sure!! One way I have thought on to unroll this netting over the top,is to first roll the netting around a PCV pipe,,,then lift this up and lay on top of all the pen framework,,then reverse-unroll it. It's the same principal as our awning on our camper,or a roll tarp on top of a grain trailer,On our camper the inner "pipe" is spring loaded and will reverse roll it self once a latch is released,,and on a grain trailer tarp a long handle is inserted in the pipe and you "crank" the center pipe clockwise or counterclockwise depending on if your unrolling,,or rolling up the tarp.

It just seems like a huge mess to hoist the net up on the framework,then try to decide which way to pull it,,and needing 5-6 people to spend a few hours to get it over the pens and tightened down.

Back
Top Bottom