Pics

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Yes, nearly everything in the Australorp SOP is "medium" but that doesn't make these beauties average or ordinary or commonplace -- it makes them iconic and awesome!

Seriously, the Australorp perfectly fits my mental model of what a chicken ought to be. They have an alert, upright posture, but not unnaturally U-shaped like a Langshan. They're broad and solid, but not so round as to have that feathered basketball look of their distant-ancestor Orpingtons. They have large single combs that aren't so large as to fall over like a Leghorn's. Everything about them is in nice proportion without any extremes.

Their temperament is as moderate as their physical characteristics, being active and alert but not flighty or wild. They get along well in the flock. None of mine are cuddle-pets, because I don't raise them to be that way, but they're friendly and follow me all around as I tend the coop and run. I only have experience with about 8-10 Australorp cockerels and one mature rooster so far, but mine have all been polite and well-behaved and, while any breed has it's outliers, they don't have a reputation for human-aggression.

The hens are good layers, though some do go broody, and reliably provide medium-to-large, light-to-medium brown eggs starting on the early end of the average.

They're tolerant of heat, coming through my steamy North Carolina summers without problems and reputedly take cold equally well, though I have no direct experience of it.

Most Australorps are black, but blues are available from a number of US hatcheries and whites exist, though they are very rare.

IMO, they're as close to a perfect backyard bird as you can get. :)

Post your Australorp photos and stories here. It's time to give these awesome birds the recognition they deserve!

Some members of my flock:

Rameses, my rooster. He'll be 1 year old at the end of this month.
0809221015a.jpg
0809221016d.jpg

0809221016b.jpg

My black POL pullet:
0809221021h.jpg

And a few of the girls who managed to hold still long enough to take a good photo:
0827221149b.jpg
0829221439a.jpg

0603221433d.jpg

Do you have some pics of yours?! I'm kicking myself for not getting a few this past brooder bunch of 5. I'm at the mercy of my local feed store weekly list and they didn't have them on the right week for me. But FOR SURE next time since I already wanted to try them and then I saw so much positive feedback from you. Thanks!

Yes, I was waiting for my slow internet to upload. :)

Most of mine are Blues. Wonderful birds! I got them from Welp.

I remember letting a friend of mine pet one of my broody australorps and he said “she’s so pretty, and has green, it’s like Petting a dragon!”

Unlike my Java, my broody Australorps don't bite me. They grumble and complain that I'm taking the eggs, but they don't bite.

Back
Top Bottom