Ayam Ciemi

Alright
welcome-byc.gif

So all where do you think this breed is going?
I breed both Ayam Cemani and Svart Hona. The are very similar with the Svart Hona having been locally adapted when it was imported into Sweden. So it is cold hardy.

As for your question, it depends upon the motivation of the individual buying them. There are already a lot of dedicated breeders out there. Some of us spent most of last year and this year improving our lines and building out flocks. Those are the breeders that you want to buy your Cemani from. Then there are the people that are rushing out and buying them hoping to strike it rich. It does not work that way. Breeding Ayam Cemani (and Svart Hona as well), requires hatching lots of chicks and culling heavily. And I mean heavily. You might have to cull 80% or more to improve your flock. That's what the rest of us did for several generations.

And be prepared to raise a lot of chicks just to find our how they will grow out. The hyperpigmentation that makes Cemani so unique is difficult to master. You need to study up on genetics. And cull heavily. It is not an enterprise that will make you money. Maybe Greenfire will make money. But the rest of us have to have perfect birds for others to buy them. So you are going to spend a lot of time and money breeding and culling. And to make it worse, some of the lines don't lay anymore than 60 or so eggs per year. My line lays well but other lines will vary. So you have to have even more hens than is normal with other breeds.

You might actually make money if you were actually able to import Laughing Chickens. They don't require as much breeding and culling.

Back
Top Bottom