Babies Babies Babies?

sherrihargrove

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
My very very pregnant Californian Doe is going on day 32. Tonight we have had a light storm, I hope the change in the weather will get her started. this is her first litter.

Did she kindle? I'm waiting on a first-timer to kindle, too, and it's stressful because you just don't know what they're doing to do (will she kindle in the nest box, will she pull fur and cover them, etc.).

Hope it goes smoothly and she has those babies soon, if she hasn't already.

When i went out there this morning it was all over... She only had 1 it was the size of a month old kitten. There was a lot of blood and it was dead. I figure she had more but ate them. New Zealand are notorious for doing that. I will rebreed her in the morning. She is so sad looking. I will try againg with maybe better outcome. Hope yours goes better for you. I have 2 others almost ready so it will be fine. they are old pros.

I'm sorry to hear that your doe's first kindling didn't go well.  That sounded like a big kit. :(   I hope it goes better for her next time.

Still waiting on the doe to kindle...she's haystaching and rearranging the nest box, so it should be happening anytime now.  I even got up at 2 a.m. and checked...nothing.  lol

Best wishes for happy, healthy kits in the next couple of litters your does have coming up!

Last edited:
@sherrihargrove The size of the kits is partly determined by the number of kits in the litter. Often when a doe has only conceived one or two, they are huge, and delivering them takes so long they seldom survive the birth process. If you rebreed her, be prepared for her to have a numerically huge litter next time!

Last edited:
We had our first 2 litters last week. I was a nervous wreck waiting for them. Had a litter of 7, and a litter of 8. One litter for sure on day 33, I think the other litter was a couple days before that because I was so sick I didn't really look and they are a but larger than the other litter. Both rexes. Both moms are doing great so far. Hoping the second breeding it's better!

Back
Top Bottom