Babies hatching under a mother hen...need advice please!!!

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
I have free range chickens that are put up in a coop at night. Only had chickens for about 9 months so very new to this. Had a hen go broody and she built a nest away from the coop. She has 26 eggs under her. I check on her multiple times a day and through the night. This afternoon I went to check on her and see four heads peeking out from under her and one wet baby under her wing. She puffed out when I tried to get close to her. How do I know when all the eggs that are going to hatch have hatched? Do I leave the babies and her there until they are done hatching? What if she is still sitting on eggs when it gets to be nighttime? Once the eggs are finished I need to move her and the babies to a safe place. She built her nest behind our swimming pool equipment and I don't want the babies to wander off and fall into our pool. My mom is bringing me a baby swimming pool to put the chicks in. Help please!

I would try to candle some of the eggs to see if they are developing. If that is the case then keep her there until you think she may be done. Once she is done I would move her to a safe place away from the pool area if you can to keep the babies safe. Good luck with you babies!! Post some pics!

Here she is with some babies. Should I leave the current babies there until I think they have all hatched or go ahead and scoop them up and put them in a safer area? What if she has eggs that are not going to hatch until tomorrow? Do I leave the babies with her?

I wouldn't bother her in the middle of the hatch. She'll likely sit there for another day or so (the babies will be fine - they have absorbed the yolk sac and don't need food or water for up to 72 hours) and the babies are not going to leave her in that time. As soon as you're comfortable in feeling that she's done hatching, you could move her and her babies to another location. I would do this at night to make the transition smoother. She has been there for 3 weeks already without a problem, hopefully another day or two won't make a difference.

I wouldn't bother her in the middle of the hatch. She'll likely sit there for another day or so (the babies will be fine - they have absorbed the yolk sac and don't need food or water for up to 72 hours) and the babies are not going to leave her in that time. As soon as you're comfortable in feeling that she's done hatching, you could move her and her babies to another location. I would do this at night to make the transition smoother. She has been there for 3 weeks already without a problem, hopefully another day or two won't make a difference.

As long as she is safe where she is (predators are the main worry) leave her be. Mine hatched out chicks in the nest box up high in the coop and sat for 3 more days and then mom and chicks hopped down no problem, the mama takes them around all day and pecks out food for them (similar situation we have a coop and a yard but there is a gap in the fence so the hens can go out daily and free range on our 2 acres, they come back at night on their own)....
She will care for them and bring them about when she is good and ready -- all you really need to do is to discard all the unhatched eggs on day 2.... and leave some water for her near the nest....

Last edited:
what I use for a temporary pen is made of peg board..............
Home Depot cuts it for me.
1 sheet...8 ft. long. .cut 2, 4ft. sections.2, 2 ft. pieces and put them together with slip ties.
Makes a safe 2x4 box....about $13.00 and you can remove the slip ties when you do not need it for easy storage.

Back
Top Bottom