baby chick bit off more than she could chew

chycknFun

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Earth
My small bunch of baby chicks are mostly inside. I let them get a taste of being outdoors for maybe 20-30 minutes on Saturday, while I kept a close eye on their reaction. One of the chicks got an earthworm the other chicks were trying to snatch away the squirmy prize. Looked like a chick version of a rugby game. Thinking that maybe they would calm down if the each got an earthworm I tossed a few more toward them that had turned up from tillingthe garden. one of the chicks has been sort of lethargic for the past two days. I noticed the other chicks had grown a bit but she hadn't. Thinking that maybe isolating her until I could figure out what is going on would be necessary for her safety I put her in a small pet container and provided her a break from being stepped on picked at and so forth by the other chicks. Concerned she hadn't maybe eaten enough I tried making a little cornmel mush with coconut oil on the stove, she ate it, I tried her chick starter she ate some of that so it didn't seem to be an appetite problem. After reading some forum info others had posted on this site I tried to see if her back end had trouble. Looked clear, though she appeared to be trying to go without success. I tried the suggestions folks posted about using a damp cloth after this she expelled a 2in section of earthworm, and soaking the bottom in warm water. I tried something I hope was okay, I dabbed the pack end with Tucks (witch Hazel) pads.

Last edited:
The Tucks won't hurt, but if she is having trouble pooping, I'd probably choose a lubricant -- a bit of Vaseline or vegetable oil or whatever. It's quite possible she is constipated. if you can get some organic apple cider vinegar, put about a Tbsp in a gallon of water. it has several benefits and won't hurt the others a bit A small amout of molasses in their water also acts as a laxative. I wouldn't use more that a tsp in a gallon. And of course make sure there is alwas fresh water available -- which is alwas a challenge with new chicks, who are forever kicking their litter into water.

Being overheated can also dehydrate and thus constipate them. be sure they always have room to get away from their heat source if you are still using one. If not, perhaps it's time they move outside entirely.

Last edited:
I still have the chick separated though she has been eating pleanty of what I put out for I make a conscious effort to wake her and spend time making sure she is eating and drinking...poo soon follows. PROBLEM! I just noticed she has a HUGE tumor on the side of her neck. What in the world is going on? I raised 25 Rhode island chicks as a kid and enjoyed their egg laying success with out even a ill or injured chick I am in new territory here. What is this injury ? illness ? Infection?

She is so small even though she pick at her starter feed concerned she dosnt like it. she will eat freeze dried blood worm like they're going out of style I am worried that too many might dehydrate her, but what can I feed her that she will be healthy on other than. Starter feed?

I still have the chick separated though she has been eating pleanty of what I put out for I make a conscious effort to wake her and spend time making sure she is eating and drinking...poo soon follows. PROBLEM! I just noticed she has a HUGE tumor on the side of her neck. What in the world is going on? I raised 25 Rhode island chicks as a kid and enjoyed their egg laying success with out even a ill or injured chick I am in new territory here. What is this injury ? illness ? Infection?

If she is eating a lot it just might be that her crop is full not a tumor. You probably don't need to wake her up to eat.

Update... I kept up to her she finally started eating better glad it wasn't so e type of tumor! Once she had enough fuel to give her some energy she was able to stand and a few days walk again. After she appeared steady I placed her back with the other chicks at that time she was half their size that sort of worried me she did get trampled on a bit, none the less she was definately happier with all her friends She has caught up to them & you would almost never know she had any trouble at all. Still curious what could have caused a chicken's crop become that enlarged?

If she is eating a lot it just might be that her crop is full not a tumor.  You probably don't need to wake her up to eat.
[/quote]She has grit, right?? If she ate worms she would need grit of some sort to digest it. It definitely sounds like her crop is just full. That looks like a "tumor" on small chicks.

Last edited:
I had then / have grit for them now! I'm so relieved everything worked out for her and appreciated the wonderful byc network's feedback. Was a big help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom