Hobblesthechick

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Hi all.

Not sure if I’m at the end of the line here but can’t seem to find any experience if this anywhere else online…

5 day old chick appeared to have curled toes and splayed leg on one leg (curled toes has rectified and I think the splay has mostly repaired.

The other leg was constantly bent upwards and slightly under his body so regardless of the other leg building strength he hasn’t yet been able to walk. Yesterday I finally accepted that it must be a slipped tendon on that leg as the symptoms seem similar. However what I have noticed is an almost paralysis of the lower leg below the ankle. Although the chick moves the entire leg from the hip socket, anything below the ankle he seems unresponsive to. He does not bend or claw the toes independently or when they are touched. As a result even when attempting to fix the slipped tendon or hold both his legs underneath his body to encourage walking, he doesn’t bend that leg at the knee or use the foot to mimic walking.

Have I exhausted all efforts? I feel like I’ve looked into everything and in theory it all should have made a difference, but without the foot/toes moving too he just isn’t going to be able to walk.

Has anyone had this scenario and had success or something that has got the foot moving?

Is this chick able to eat/drink on it's own?
It’s now pecking food by itself as it wasn’t before and couldn’t reach the feeder and wouldn’t take crumb from the incubator I had him in.

Still not taking liquid by himself but again I think it’s because of the not being able to walk before and then the current position I have him in strapped in a box for his leg, the water if he dips his beak gets his feathers wet so I don’t think he likes it. So still pipetting water with added vitamin e and a poultry vitamin diluted in it.

Other than the damn leg he just seems so chirpy and alert. He’s gotten particularly chirpy but I think it’s cos he’s somewhat imprinted and is only happy when he’s being held and snuggled warm.

After 5 days if you haven't been able to correct the leg and he's still not up and moving, able to eat/drink on his own, then he may not ever be able to.

You think the tendon is slipped? Have you tried wrapping it and placing him in a chick chair?

Back
Top Bottom