Baby chick cannot pass feces...HELP!

MrsKMLambert

Hatching
May 7, 2016
I have eleven baby Black Australorp chicks; they are about a week and a half old. One chick I've noticed has had a plugged vent three separate times now. I've been able to gently squeeze the feces out of her all three times. Because this has happened three times, does that mean that there is a internal problem? Could I give her an enema, how do I do it, and how would I know when her system is clear?

The other chicks have been checked and they're all clear and have no issues pooping. What can I give her to help her, should I separate her until I know she can poo on her own?

Welcome to BYC. This is known as pasty butt, and usually stops after about 10 days. It may be caused by dehydration or from too much heat in the brooder. Clean off the vent with warm soapy water using your fingers, and dry it off. Then apply a drop of vegetable or other oil to the vent. Probiotics can be added to the water, or a small amount of plain yogurt can go into the food to help. Give her a couple of drops of molasses or Karo Syrup orally and that may help her go.

Back
Top Bottom